Freezing peppers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sweet and hot. I have an abundance right now and Id like to preserve some for later use in salads, sandwiches and for cooking. I understand you need to cut the sweets and pan freeze them. But you can do jalapenos whole?

Is it worth the money for a vacuum sealer to seal them up as well?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
In the shop, jalapenos are pickled sliced in a jar. You could easily go down that root. Also, peppered can be roasted and stored in air-right jars. if you go to shops to have a look, there are plenty of good ideas. Roasted peppers are delicious and can be served as salad. Roasting bring out the sweetness of pepper. Very good choice. I think @Durgan and @headfullofbees might have some ideas ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have already pickled some of the jalapenos. I have two jars already. Which should be enough for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can freeze both peppers easily. The only thing is that once frozen they are much better when used in cooking. They become a bit mushy. For basic pickeled peppers all I do is to boil 50/50 water and vinegar and cover the peppers with it, seal and water bath can.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I kind of figured they would get a bit mushy, but I keep seeing stuff online about freezing then to use in salads and such. Of course, it's on the internet, so it must be true:rolleyes:.

I'll just pickle some more jalapenos and plan to use the others in cooking. Still have way more than I can use fresh anyway, so might as well get some use from them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I freeze most of my peppers, but after that they are pretty much only good for cooking, not salads. That being said, they can be stuffed with anything and baked, wrapped in bacon and cream cheese, or put in sauces. I LOVE my peppers! Jalapenos are no different than sweet peppers in this regard.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You could freeze pepper with stir fry ingredients. Bean sprouts are cheap, some peas, cabbage, just mix together and it's much better than just eating de-frost pepper!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
IMG_20181014_202119873.jpg

Still probably end up pickling more jalapenos. 6 more in the fridge and a dozen or so on the plant!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I became a fan of The Scott Rea Project, a series of videos by a professional butcher who lives in the UK. I do not mind the larger cuts but they must be preserved as well as dried treats from the dehydrator.

Care to give me a secret link? I have never heard of it. Everything seems to be larger in the States. Men look huge and they are more or less more than 180 stones. Quite a frightening prospect. Some police officers on the TV look too big to run and I often wonder how they run. I have seen meat vacuum packed, but the process of using plastic doesn't appeal to me. I know I sound like splitting hair. Is there really any packaging material that is non-reactive!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Its not an issue when frozen. Hot yes but not cold. And its all about removing oxygen. High end food is often packaged in a gas for preservation.

One of many videos here

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Its not an issue when frozen. Hot yes but not cold. And its all about removing oxygen. High end food is often packaged in a gas for preservation.

Let me take the rubbish out and come in to google! As with everything in this world, there are always pros and cons! Need another cup of tea. Cold again and my heart has just come into the correct rhythm. Felt very ill earlier.

Ask a Question