Peppers, peppers, and more peppers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
I love peppers. Pretty much any and every kind of pepper. Well, except green bell peppers but let's ignore that for now. Every year I'm always looking for different kinds of peppers to try out.

This year my choices are:

Cayenne
cayenne-pepper-main-m.jpg

Jalapeno

plant1.jpg

Red Hot Cherry
red-hot-cherry-peppers-plant-ready-harvest-46055999.jpg

Serrano Tampiqueno

8176026419_2f1925fc61.jpg

Tabasco

ripetabascohybridF1.JPG

Pimento
Pepper%20Seeds,%20Sweet%20Pimento%20L-Vegetable%20Seeds.jpg

Pepperoncini

banana_peppers1.png

CA Wonder

prod000825_lg.jpg

I grew the CA wonder, Jalapeno, and Cayenne last year and loved them so much that they're being picked again! I also did the Pimento and Red Hot Cherry but didn't manage to get any to try. I had a few seeds left though so they'll be tried again!

What kind of peppers are you going to grow this year?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This post has totally psyched me up! I didn't grow any last year, and I wish I did. This year I'll be growing some standard chillis, some habernero, and maybe some ghost peppers. I've always wanted to grow some of those super-hot peppers like the Reaper or Trinidad Scorpion, but I don't know if I'd have the courage to eat them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
These are the seeds that are starting to sprout orange habanero, red habanero, ring of fire, ghost pepper, 7 pot yellow, scorpion Butch T, devil's tongue, carolina reaper, 7 pot barackpore, moruga, and one I call Val's because the seeds were given to me by this person and we don't know what it is other than very hot.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Those are some beautiful peppers, I'm so envious! Currently only have jalapenos on tho go, but I'd love to add in some cayenne and tabasco peppers to the mix. Eating them is certainly one way to keep warm during the winter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't like spicy foods, but I plan to start growing peppers, because they're beautiful plants:) I love looking at them. All pictures in this thread are really pretty. I especially like Red Hot Cherry and Cayenne.
My dream is to grow this rainbow variety:

5426512593_461097f37e_z.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
My parents sent me two dried nyora peppers, traditional in my country, Catalonia, because they're used to make a Catalan sauce, or dip, called Romesco. I'm not having any luck with the seeds for now. I hope I can have my own nyora plants this summer. I'll keep trying until I run out of seeds (n)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh gosh! There are so many. I know I do want to grow peppers. I think one mild type of pepper and one sweet pepper. I use a lot of sweet peppers in fajitas and sauces. We use the spicier ones in chilis and salsas. I like the smaller sweet peppers and my daughter enjoys snacking on them so they might be an option.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
R.R., I hope you'll have your own nyora plants. Good luck!

I'd love to grow peppers called Peru Scarlet Lantern. They look so very pretty!:)

Peru_Scarlet_Lantern_1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
How do I keep the soil warm, Chuck? Would it be enough if I just kept it indoors in a sunny place? I have a few pepper seeds, because my boyfriend collected them from his old pepper plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How do I keep the soil warm, Chuck? Would it be enough if I just kept it indoors in a sunny place? I have a few pepper seeds, because my boyfriend collected them from his old pepper plant.
Yes, if you keep your house warm a sunny window is a great place to start seeds. Here is how to do it. Assuming you have a few seeds of unknown viability say about 10 or so, get a small plastic food storage container about 2 - 3 inches deep. Poke or drill some holes in the bottom to allow drainage. Fill up the container to a little over half full with a medium to fine textured .potting soil. Completely saturate the potting soil with slightly warm water. Let it drain for a few minutes to remove excess water. Next, place your seeds at least 1 inch apart all over the top of the wet potting soil. Next, sprinkle no more than 1/4 inch of dry potting soil evenly over the seeds and lightly pat the dry soil down so as to have the seeds make good soil contact. Cover the container with its lid or plastic wrap so as to make a small terrarium. This will probably keep the seeds moist enough until they sprout but if in doubt about them getting too dry just spray the top of the soil with a spray bottle and water. When the seeds sprout, usually about 10-15 days depending on the variety, remove the lid or plastic wrap and put it in the warmest sunniest place you can find. Now comes the tricky part. When the seedlings have 1 or 2 sets of true leaves it is time to pot them up. You can use just about anything to pot them up, a soup can or those plastic 4 or 6 pack containers that plants come in from the nursery. Whatever you use fill it up with your potting soil and if you have some compost, mix that in with the potting soil. If you don't that's OK. Completely saturate the soil in the containers and let them drain. Next, and there are 2 ways to do this is to remove the seedlings from their container. The first is to drop the container of seedlings onto a hard surface and loosen up the soil enough to GENTLY use a fork or chopsticks to remove the seedling without hurting its tiny little roots. The second method and what I find easier to do is to completely saturate and by using water GENTLY wash away the potting soil from the seedlings roots. Next, using your finger poke a hole into the now wet soil in your potting up containers. Make the hole a little deeper than the roots of the seedlings are long and GENTLY place the seedling into the hole and squish the soil around the roots firmly. Do not fertilize until at least the third set of true leaves have formed. And always water from the bottom up if at all possible. And That's All There Is To It

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
Those are some beautiful peppers, I'm so envious! Currently only have jalapenos on tho go, but I'd love to add in some cayenne and tabasco peppers to the mix. Eating them is certainly one way to keep warm during the winter!
Unfortunately they weren't mine. Lol. I just grabbed some pictures from online. I had some pictures of my peppers but the SD card they were on became corrupted. :( This year I'll get some pictures though!

Cayenne are definitely worth it. One plant gives so many peppers. I planted 3 plants, gave half of the peppers away, and still have around 40 peppers left after eating a bunch!

My dream is to grow this rainbow variety:
Those are gorgeous. I plan to grow some eventually as well. I want to get an apartment with a nice south facing window first though.

I'd love to grow peppers called Peru Scarlet Lantern. They look so very pretty!:)
It definitely looks pretty! I might try them out next year. :D

A little advice on sprouting pepper seeds. Keep the soil WARM, preferably between 72F -76F and do not let them go dry. Keep slightly moist
Perhaps it's just the kinds of peppers I have, but most of my peppers won't sprout if it's that cold. Usually it has to get to 80-85 before they will. I could get the bell peppers to sprout, but any of my hotter or sweeter varieties stayed dormant until it got warmer. I had them in a south (slightly east) facing window but they still took quite a while. I did a test after about a week where I sent half of them to the greenhouse and they sprouted after about a week in there. The other ones left inside took about 2-3 weeks. It stayed around 73-77 during that time.

Also, I grew some more in the summer when it was around 85-90 and they sprouted after about 3 days in the soil while in a greenhouse. Grant it, those were the cherry peppers and I'm not sure if they just sprout faster.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Cayenne are definitely worth it. One plant gives so many peppers. I planted 3 plants, gave half of the peppers away, and still have around 40 peppers left after eating a bunch!

This is great to hear, I'm looking forward to it even more! I just love plants that keep on giving their bounty. I need to develop more of a taste for spicy food in preparation!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
This is great to hear, I'm looking forward to it even more! I just love plants that keep on giving their bounty. I need to develop more of a taste for spicy food in preparation!
The amount of spice they have is pretty much related to the amount of water they get. Therefore, if you give them plenty of water they shouldn't be too hot. Mine have a bit of a kick but I don't think they turned out that hot. Then again, I go to a wing shop and order the "Hot" flavor wondering how people can call those hot lol. As long as they get regular watering they won't get too badly hot. Unless you have a low tolerance. :D

Ask a Question