Squishy peppers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm getting a about half my bell peppers that are soft and have a slight wrinkle to the skin. No sign of insect damage, I even opened one up looking for a worm. Is this perhaps heat stress, under water, something else? I'm really struggling with my bell peppers this year, but my jalapeno is doing great???

A few have had some other damage, looks like end rot. Again, no sign of worms inside.

Attachments

• IMG_20180918_170840718.jpg
    IMG_20180918_170840718.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20180918_170929421_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180918_170929421_HDR.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 251
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm getting a about half my bell peppers that are soft and have a slight wrinkle to the skin. No sign of insect damage, I even opened one up looking for a worm. Is this perhaps heat stress, under water, something else? I'm really struggling with my bell peppers this year, but my jalapeno is doing great???

A few have had some other damage, looks like end rot. Again, no sign of worms inside.
What is that white stuff on the pepper in the first picture? Sunscald will cause yellowing squishy fruit. The second picture is blossom end rot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Chuck,I think what you are referring to is just water droplets. Pics were taken right after watering.

Sunscald is what I'm thinking as well, after looking through various online articles. I moved the bell here because they weren't doing so well in a shadier location. Now too much sun seems to be the problem?o_O the jalapenos love it here, but I gather they are more tolerant of direct sun than bells?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck,I think what you are referring to is just water droplets. Pics were taken right after watering.

Sunscald is what I'm thinking as well, after looking through various online articles. I moved the bell here because they weren't doing so well in a shadier location. Now too much sun seems to be the problem?o_O the jalapenos love it here, but I gather they are more tolerant of direct sun than bells?
They both like full sun but the bells have had a bit of transplant shock moving them from a shady area to a full sun area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Perhaps, but it has been there for a good month now. I would have though that would be plenty to get over the shock

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Perhaps, but it has been there for a good month now. I would have though that would be plenty to get over the shock
Transplant shock is the wrong word perhaps. But when you move anything from shade to sun sunscald can happen. If fact, even if it weren't moved from shade to sun it could still sunscald just because of a lack of foliage close to the fruit blocking some of the direct sunlight.

Ask a Question