Small peppers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a few bell pepper plants, which, by all accounts seem to be doing great. They are tall and full and I have about two dozen peppers ripening now. I have two that are ready to pick (they are on the menu tonight, stuffed peppers!!!). BUT, they are pretty small. Generally that's fine with me, but stuffed peppers are difficult with such small peppers. Is today just the type of pepper I have or is there some environmental condition that is to this?

They are in a large pot (25 gal), and get full sun. Due to the heat here they get water frequently, but I don't think I'm drowning them. Leaves are a good green and healthy looking. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Did you let them fully mature? Sometimes it just takes a while to get their full size....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What is the variety and just what size are they when ripe?
I just recall the tag said "yellow bell". They are maybe half size of supermarket bell peppers. Smaller than my first. I'll try for a picture tomorrow, too late now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Container plants need feed. Once a week I hit mine with a dose. Did you use fertilizer?
Some, yes. Probably not as regular if routine as I should. I alternate between a little fruit fuel and a vegetable fertilizer for tomatoes and peppers (jobes).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have a few bell pepper plants, which, by all accounts seem to be doing great. They are tall and full and I have about two dozen peppers ripening now. I have two that are ready to pick (they are on the menu tonight, stuffed peppers!!!). BUT, they are pretty small. Generally that's fine with me, but stuffed peppers are difficult with such small peppers. Is today just the type of pepper I have or is there some environmental condition that is to this?

They are in a large pot (25 gal), and get full sun. Due to the heat here they get water frequently, but I don't think I'm drowning them. Leaves are a good green and healthy looking. Any thoughts?
My thoughts on a healthy plant with no issues is just genetics. A lot of these plants are greenhouse queens or bioengineered big fruit producers but if it heirloom or natural no way it is necessary that size is a problem. Taste and flavor is the bigger point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My thoughts on a healthy plant with no issues is just genetics. A lot of these plants are greenhouse queens or bioengineered big fruit producers but if it heirloom or natural no way it is necessary that size is a problem. Taste and flavor is the bigger point.

Yeah, not really a huge issue, they taste good. Just that larger size would be better for doing stuffed peppers. If it's totally normal I'm not too concerned. It did take for ever for this plant to start fruiting though. It's doing plenty now but it didn't start until around early August, planted in late Feb.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Heat of day and they didn't get water this morning so they are a bit droopy.
IMG_20180909_153632386_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180909_153645179.jpg
IMG_20180909_153652357_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think that the peppers size is a varietal issue, not a growth issue. The pictures show good foliage, no diseases and only a slight chlorosis probably due a lack of iron. If there is a detriment it is too much foliage due to a slight overload of nitrogen. I think if anything is lacking in NKP it is K. I would add extra bonemeal next season. All in all excellent peppers. I would guess that the newer peppers will be larger than the early ones too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks guys. I'm limited to big box stores for starter plants, so variety is whatever Bonnie decided to call yellow Bell. They are good, but I'm going to look for a source for some other varieties next season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
I also have an issue with my bell peppers and I didn't get my starts from a box store either. I got my starts from a well respected local area nursery.

I can see they are not a normal bell pepper size in your picture compaired to your hand.

I personally it is a weird growing year for bell peppers, Mine look healthy viberant green folage and they also got about a 5 minite shot of Miracle Grow once a week.

I believe mine are smaller than your but mine need to grow a bit more as they are just getting that blush of yellow now.

The red ones I bet are about the size of a golf ball and half of another one. Pretty small, only use I can see it chopped up in a salad.

I think about it the plants them self are only about 8 inches tall.

Mine are in a 4'x8' raised bed also.

:D Al

Ask a Question