Pansy seedlings – indoors – depth of soil needed?

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b but houseplants only - apartment
Country
United States
Hi All.

I planted pansy seeds a couple of weeks ago in a shallow container with about 1-1/2 inches / 4 cm of soil. About half of them came up, which I thought not too bad for a first attempt, and the seedlings are now between 1 and 2 inches tall – looking a bit spindly, but healthy.

Should I re-plant them into deeper pots, and if so when? Now?

Any other tips gratefully received. Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would usually sow pansies in the springtime @Low Altitude, but as you have yours in now it would be a good idea to prick them out now into small pots (7cm) Make sure they have plenty of light and keep them just moist - not too wet. When you transplant them, don't touch the stems - rather handle them by the leaves. Good luck, hope they do well for you (y)

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Tetters,

Thanks so much – that's really helpful. Interesting advice about not touching the stems – I would not have thought of that. I'm guessing the reason is that at this stage, they are too fragile? Also grateful for the guidance about light and moisture. I may not be alone in erring on the side of over-watering seedlings (think I may have killed a batch of mint that way once).

Yes, the seed seller recommended spring sowing, but I felt like taking a chance to get some fall / winter color. They will be in a warm, south-facing room that gets plenty of light. Fingers crossed. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are most welcome :) Whatever you do, keep on growing stuff. It is one of the most rewarding occupations you can have.

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Isn’t it just?!?

An important anchor point for this human.

Thanks again for your advice. Will let you know how the pansies get on – I replanted them this evening.

Ask a Question