Stumped by my brussel sprout seedlings, no growth and turned purple.

Reaction score
Country
United States
First time EVER posting in a forum!
This is my first time planting brussel sprouts. I live in west Virginia in zone 6. About 6 weeks ago I planted brussel sprout seeds in a container indoors. They germinated, formed first leaves, and then became leggy. I changed container location and adjusted watering but nothing changed, no growth, no new leaves, no death! I decided 3 days ago to place the container outside but now my plants have turned purple (stems and leaves) still only have first leaves no true leaves. Any clue whats going on, or what i have done wrong? I figure my soil my be deficient in something they are needing, I'd love to plant them in the ground but without true leaves is this even an option? Current weather has been up and down 40-60 degree nights and 70-90 degree days. Thanks for any input!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I did. Although the window i had them in before was the same sunlight they are in now. Basicly moved them from inside in front of window to same spot on outside of window. I figure the direct light prob has been a bit harsher than the light through glass

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It may be too hot now for them as they are a cool weather crop but that doesn't cause a purple color. Lack of potasium does. Being in a container uses up nutrients much faster than when in the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Windows (especially new ones) can reduce the UV rays inside a house drastically. If you have a place that will give them mostly shade I would move them there to see if you can save them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I am in same zone as you. they are probably all probs right. I tend to direct sow brussels sprouts as they are fairly easy to grow, and they are one of 1st plants you can get in the ground. the one time I did start them indoors they got leggy and turned purple. a few weeks after planting outside - all good. I think those I planted with some blood meal. good luck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree, it's much too hot to try to grow brussel sprouts. Like broccoli, lettuce and such, it is a cool weather veggie. And your soil could've been deficient of something.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all so much, like i said first time planting brussel sprouts and our weather should not be so hot already, our average last frost date is may 10th so to be hitting 90 through the day and cool at night its hard to even till what season im in around here. You all have been very helpful! I'll keep working with them just for the experience and try again next year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It is probably global warming that is causing to be hotter than it should be this time of year. Perhaps you could try this fall if you wanted.

Ask a Question