Veggie seedlings and rain

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b/6a
Country
United States
I've got my new garden ready to go. However its supposed to rain for 5 or 6 of the next 7 days. Today, not much rain and wanted to get out there. Should I probably wait to put seedlings out until after this bout of rain?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've got my new garden ready to go. However its supposed to rain for 5 or 6 of the next 7 days. Today, not much rain and wanted to get out there. Should I probably wait to put seedlings out until after this bout of rain?
Unless you can tell if there will not be heavy rain or wind or hail or ??? I would wait. And if you can tell would you please move to Texas next door to me?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks I'd figure so just thought I'd seek confirmation. My first actual garden so I'm excited.
I understand completely. Just remember that weather can be a gardeners friend or his enemy. ALWAYS be aware of what's forecast. In many cases you can take preventative actions to save any damage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd put them in as I just did my leaf lettuce and snowpea seed 3 days ago here. Seedling can't be too wet during the first few days outdoors unless they are standing in standing water. That's a very high growth period and there's a certain amount of dead time while they get over being manhandled and adjusting to higher intensity light anyway, so they can spend those rotten days getting used to the great outdoors, or you can wait until the rain is over where you can't control that weather, either, and there might be a blazing sun horizon-to-horizon. Six of one, half dozen of the other, but I'll be ahead of you most of the time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Rain can flatten seedlings. Just remember that they are soft and tender, and that means they can get bent around a bit and not be hurt nearly as much as one would think. In fact the movement serves to strengthen them. But you might lose some so do not put them all in at once.

Ask a Question