Help with Alyssum Seedlings

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I planted some Alyssum-Gold Dust AKA Basket of Gold AKA Aurinia saxatilis about 5 weeks ago in a peat pellet container. It's in my 65 degree basement about 6" under a 50 watt LED light on a heat mat. I did have the lights closer but it seemed like it was stressing the little seedlings. I removed the lid after they emerged. The problem is that it seems like they are stunted. They've developed good little leaves, but the stems are yellow and terribly thin. Many of them are flopped over. None are more than about 3/4" tall. I keep them evenly moist with a mist sprayer daily and drip water between the pods without allowing standing water. Last week I tried an experiment adding a few granules of plant food to 1/3 of them and some finished compost between all the pods to let them soak up some nutrients. No improvement with the stems. My vegetable, herb, and purple coneflowers all seem to be doing great under identical conditions. The same thing happened when I tried them last year, until I eventually moved them outside for more sun and they dried out from neglect. Is it inadequate light? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20190417_173212.jpg
    IMG_20190417_173212.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20190417_173235.jpg
    IMG_20190417_173235.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 138
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Big Bear. :) I'm sorry but your seedlings are suffering from too much heat, too much water and not enough light. There are enough nutrients in the soil to maintain them until they are planted out so feeding them has made them outgrow their strength. They would be better off now somewhere with good natural light but out of the sun. Misting them is not a good idea either as the leaves are likely to scorch in the heat.....sun will have the same effect too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Sheal! Thank you very much for the great advice. I'll get them moved right away and cut down on the water. Thanks!

Ask a Question