Pansy's

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I live in Chicago and I just started growing some pansy seeds last weekend indoors. I am VERY new to this.. so I didn't realize that the pansy season has come and gone. What should I do with my plants once they germinate? Are they going to die if I plant them outside? Or might they flower in the fall? Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pansy (Viola x wittrockiana) grown as a cool-season annual does not bloom or grow well in hot weather, but Pansy is bred from perennial ancestors and there is possibility of survival through Summer until Fall. Keep the plants in a part sun situation through the Summer months. Morning sun would be best to reduce heat stress. You could pot them in one gallon containers during this time to establish a large root system and then plant out as Fall approaches. This might be best as you could also temporaily move them into more shade during the hottest weather. Pansy is also somewhat frost-tolerant and survives through mild winters, though this is not so assured in a climate as cold as Chicago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
james5713

Latest Threads