Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My brother did Chemistry there. My other brother studied in South Carolina ..

@BigC You make a very good teacher! Apart from the disclaimer. You should have put down Dr BigC and then said it is written down as convention ... LOL!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do not use Lard Mary....if Lard is the same where you are (animal fats)

Yes, lard is animal fats here too, but Crisco is vegetable oil. I'm wondering if I could use little birthday candles in a bigger jar and have more light and heat as a consequence. (I'm thinking more about "home-made candle" than I am about "heat for my greenhouse." :D.)

Let me second alp's comment - you do make a very good teacher. :D :geek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody, still haven't got around to reading back yet !

Still up in London, but good news is that sis is now out of hospital ( Thursday) :D:D Had to have more scans done today and another app. on Monday......still a very long way to go yet. Hope to go back down to my house for a few weeks so that she can get to see dad and the rest of the family ,then see from there wether we come back up here or stay put......it will be her decision.
IMG_20170818_184118.jpg

Have desperately missed my garden.....but have tried my hand at knitting some flowers. So far I have managed some pansies ( left them back home) and yesterday I finished doing a rose bud......might add a few leaves if I can work out how!!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, @Upsy Daisy - glad that your sis is out of hospital .. I'm sure you miss your garden as it is so lovely. Amazing that you could knit a curvy rose .. Another genius on this thread.

Whilst hunting for plants to sell at bootsale tomorrow morning, I stumbled upon this one! A red hibiscus which I didn't even know I had. When I bought it reduced, it had no flower and just a blue or purple flower on the label. And I was amazed there had already been one flower opening before this one! :eek::D and all the time I walked past it and the flower faced the dwarf wall, and when I pulled the pot out today, I saw the residue of a dead flower.. What a lovely surprise. Similar to @BigC 's aunt's one in Australia. Reduced to £1 from £7 .. Sweet surprise!
SAM_1135.JPG

I think I'm going to open a thread called Darling Dahlia .. Oh.. cringe, cringe!:eek:

Give me an excuse to recycle all my darlings .. hehe!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Went to see Keith this afternoon, last weekend he'd been in hospital for the 2 days. Had a bladder infection, they did a blood test and everything is ok. It was probably a blocked catheter that he has to have. He can't change carers, the social services won't pay for the different level of care. Even though he has to pay for some of it. This morning they came at 10 am to get him out of bed and everything.

Just watched 4th ep of top of the lake. We switched on the 4 amps, one of the fuses went in one of them. He had to pull the amp out and find another fuse. Started watching it, when they were at the party, i wondered where is this going. It's not like an ordinary crime drama, it's to explore robin's inner self. But it's still good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Such amazing crafters as well as gardeners on here, and such a wealth of information too, I'm actually glad I joined, such amazing and friendly people.
Well I just finished up for today and resting up with the customary bottle of RED...:)..the missus is on babysitting duty so I can go over the limit in my own little world hahahaha....I must admit I got sidetracked today...I made the candle, I started the Rain-Chain but I will need more pebbles for sure on the 5 ft wire, but its looking good...Finally I had a look at my scrap timber box (off-cuts) and wondered "What can I make to use them up"...So I constructed a little Solitary Bee Hotel...it's as yet unfinished (tomorrow) and I will post images later...I've seen these in garden centres over the years and they really vary in price, which is funny really when you think that you can make these simple little garden adornments from scrap materials.
I hope everyone had a great day
Regards
C

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning @Logan sorry its a long time to reply but believe it or not I've only just woke..for some reason I'm pretty tired of late...not like me at all so pretty concerned.
Best get up and finish off this little Bee House...not sure to keep it rustic or embellish it...knowing me when I start I will elaborate on its simplicity...:) for now have a great day everyone...Happy Gardening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning folks :)
Damp here.....drizzle but persistent. Feels humid. Very warm.
Mini heatwave on the way (y)

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@BigC I was beginning to think where has everybody gone. Wasn't you up late?.
Hi @Verdun I think we're supposed to have a bit of rain this afternoon. I've got the washing out,it probably will. I've washed all the bird feeders, in time for autumn.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya Logan
Dont really mind the drizzle today. Mostly a dry, warm and sunny week incl yesterday. Tomorrow should be fine too so I can get on with other non garden things.:)
Oh dear! You swore Logan. You said A....n :(
Always takes me a while to accept the shorter days:(
As I write this the sun is coming out......yippee! (If it lasts) ;)

Last edited:

Ask a Question