Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Great, @BigC we have something to look forward to .. I would ask my son to have a go at your heater project earlier and I would like a planter from him.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Great, @BigC we have something to look forward to .. I would ask my son to have a go at your heater project earlier and I would like a planter from him.
keeping the fella occupied lol...I wish mine were as keen to help...the best one to help me (tool passer) was my middle son of three he knew what I wanted and when to supply me with the correct tool (sadly he's left the nest now)...the other two (bless them) wouldn't know one end of a screwdriver from the other hahahahaha....When he's done @alp throw up some pics as and when always good to see other peoples variations ...:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You should have started them young. Boys are very set in their ways, but if you got them involved, they might still get interested. My son has been to National Trust properties for years and it was only when he was 14 that he started getting interested. A lady guide in Speke Hall, Liverpool, said that my son should be this poor boy going up to clean chimneys and cleaning the toilet bowl to make sure that it is spanking clean. Before we left, son came out of the toilet and said, "Mum, I left the toilet very clean, not a speck of dirt in sight!"

I was mightily embarrassed as he's 14, not 7! LOL! You still have hope and don't stereotype them ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They are all pretty good really so cant grumble, but middle one is more practical with his hands, of the other two one is a chef and the other is at University studying Biomedical Science (one year to go) :) and my daughter entering the teaching profession when the two grandkids get up a little more...so all in all I cant complain how they have turned out :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Model family .. You've done very well.. A chef .. I would love to have chef cooking for me .. Food is another of my passions .. to name a few.. My brother went to Queen's in Belfast and his name is Patrick LOL!. He was pretty annoyed when people said he sounded Irish .. Haha! Must the th ... sound .. All languages are lovely ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all very breezy today but the sun is out but a lot of cloud ,first canna flower is showing colour yellow with a red speckle at one stage thought I was going to get just leaves .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Canna flowering in Newcastle and I have had no movement in Essex .. You put me to shame, @zenji

I had 2 very early ones, but as soon as I planted them out, they were ravaged by slugs . I have one strong canna sitting next to one lone sweetcorn .. something about me never changes ..LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just catching up with Gardeners' World. Havering Atte Bower is just 5 minutes' drive up my way and it's so nice to learn about the history of the Pemberton roses.. Wish I lived there ..High up, fresh air and such a nice view .. not like the rat-run outside my house!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Dinner-time and the longer lasting candle is complete...here follows the instructions on how to make one...:)

How to make a cheap emergency long lasting Candle (100 Hrs approx)
Making a long lasting candle is quite a simple affair all that is needed is
A good sized Glass Jar
A Dinner Candle
2x Trex Vegetable Fat
Scent/insect repellent if req'd

requisites.jpg

Make sure the jar you are using is about 25mm taller than the candle , if your having problems finding something suitable, remember you can always cut the candle down a little
candle jar.jpg

Melt the TREX slowly under a low heat until all the lumps have gone to liquid, you can add essential oils or insect repellents such as Lavender and Eucalyptus oil at this stage

melting trex 1.jpg
melt2.jpg

Warm the Jam Jar (with almost boiling water) so as not to run the risk of cracking when adding the oil

heat Jar.jpg

Empty the water out of the jar, dry off and add the oil to one inch from the top of the jar and leave to cool and semi solidify back to its original state by placing into the fridge.

add scent.jpg

Just before it solidifies and is cool add the candle by twisting it through the centre of the mass and centrally into the jar

add candle 1.jpg

add candle 2.jpg

At this point take the end of a teaspoon and create/scoop a little well around the top of the candle, discard the access, then take a finger and rub around this shallow moat to make it smooth. This will hold melted candle wax as it burns the whole way down the jar (the Trex and this will never mix) and it slows the burning process.

moat 1.jpg

moat 2.jpg

And there you have it...the candle should last on average 4 days and it’s a great little addition to the Terracotta Room/Greehouse heater alleviating the process of constantly having to change out faster burning tealights. I hope you enjoyed this little helpful life hack and if you do decided to make one I look forward to your comments,

The candle can be used in conjunction with the Terracotta Greenhouse Heater I made earlier.
14479768_1286521331400408_7366872664088996677_n.jpg

Disclaimer...I in no way advocate or press upon you the use of these DIY candles if you decide make one and use it, you do so at your own risk, I can in no way be held responsible for third party diy and usage, Candles can be dangerous and should not be left unattended.....sorry about that folks but I thought it was best to include....
Regards C

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No rest for the wicked. :devil:
I'm now cracking on with the Black Pebble Rain-Chain to attach to the Pergola...Hopefully I will have enough pebbles. :)
rain 1.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you for a very informative post, BigC!! :)

Before I try it, I need to make sure TREX is the same as "vegetable shortening." The biggest brand name we have of this would be Crisco, but I've bought the generic to make suet cakes for the birds... :unsure:

Disclaimer...I in no way advocate or press upon you the use of these DIY candles if you decide make one and use it, you do so at your own risk, I can in no way be held responsible for third party diy and usage, Candles can be dangerous and should not be left unattended.....sorry about that folks but I thought it was best to include....
Regards C

:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: My first laugh out loud of the morning! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Before I try it, I need to make sure TREX is the same as "vegetable shortening." The biggest brand name we have of this would be Crisco, but I've bought the generic to make suet cakes for the birds.
Do not use Lard Mary....if Lard is the same where you are (animal fats)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Dinner-time and the longer lasting candle is complete...here follows the instructions on how to make one...:)

How to make a cheap emergency long lasting Candle (100 Hrs approx)
Making a long lasting candle is quite a simple affair all that is needed is
A good sized Glass Jar
A Dinner Candle
2x Trex Vegetable Fat
Scent/insect repellent if req'd

View attachment 25965

Make sure the jar you are using is about 25mm taller than the candle , if your having problems finding something suitable, remember you can always cut the candle down a little
View attachment 25969

Melt the TREX slowly under a low heat until all the lumps have gone to liquid, you can add essential oils or insect repellents such as Lavender and Eucalyptus oil at this stage

View attachment 25966 View attachment 25967

Warm the Jam Jar (with almost boiling water) so as not to run the risk of cracking when adding the oil

View attachment 25968

Empty the water out of the jar, dry off and add the oil to one inch from the top of the jar and leave to cool and semi solidify back to its original state by placing into the fridge.

View attachment 25970

Just before it solidifies and is cool add the candle by twisting it through the centre of the mass and centrally into the jar

View attachment 25971
View attachment 25972

At this point take the end of a teaspoon and create/scoop a little well around the top of the candle, discard the access, then take a finger and rub around this shallow moat to make it smooth. This will hold melted candle wax as it burns the whole way down the jar (the Trex and this will never mix) and it slows the burning process.

View attachment 25973
View attachment 25974

And there you have it...the candle should last on average 4 days and it’s a great little addition to the Terracotta Room/Greehouse heater alleviating the process of constantly having to change out faster burning tealights. I hope you enjoyed this little helpful life hack and if you do decided to make one I look forward to your comments,

The candle can be used in conjunction with the Terracotta Greenhouse Heater I made earlier.
View attachment 25975

Regards C
Hahaha!

Ask a Question