Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I wish my Callistemon produced like this..:)

IMG_0917.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently, ferns grow wild in Ireland and there was a clip of a man growing tons of them there.

Good investment, @BigC

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all.. Alp, keep your eyes out for Homebase bargains in March/April, got those two Llandaff tubers for £1.50, now look at the size of the red beauties :eek: very impressed with them so far, will look out for the orange Bishop of Oxford & yellow Bishop of York. I know Poundland & B&M also do bulbs/tubers/corms in Spring

Wow! That's a bargain. They are very pretty and not much slug damage. Never heard of Oxford and York, will definitely look out for them. Next time I go to poundland, I must ask them when their plants are in as I have some lovely plants from them. But most of the times, it's a wasted journey as the plants die in their horrible plastic bag. I've got 12 minnow and some scented narcissus from Home Bargain and it's 99p.

My local B&M has just started reducing their fertilisers and I'm so keen to get some tomorite and slow release granules. I bet when I go down there next, they will have disappeared.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@BigC Yes i'll let you use it:LOL:;) I've got heavy soil there so I put a lot of grit in the hole and mixed it in the soil that i put back. I used all of a big bag. Don't know what the weight of it.
Lovely pics every one, it's raining heavy since 7pm. The water butts will be full.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, no! @Logan you beat me to it!:eek::D:LOL:;)

GOOD MORNING TO ALL!

I woke up early and can't complain as the air is good for a Saturday night - a rare occurrence.

I have two tops on and a cuppa to keep me warm. Bliss at the moment ..until the cottage industry starts.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@alp good morning. I thought I'd beet you sometime.Haha. Did you mean friday night? It was warm here last night. Hubby got soaked at 8.30pm taking the boys out. He had to take them out for a extra wee, they drank so much water when we came back from physio yesterday. Going to Keith's this afternoon. Going to walk this time. How did you get on with your apples?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It tasted better after I added more, yes, more sugar.. It's still in the slower cooker in the fridge. I might have some with porridge ..

Might be a good idea to invest in some ponchos when you two go out with dogs as you don't want to catch a chill. The sky is getting a bit brighter, but no sunshine to speak of. Going to move a table from the big bedroom to the workshop. A big clearing out is on the way and a bit cuttings day on the card.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Some more snaps from Hyde Hall

The sunken garden with ferns
SAM_1086.JPG

Such handsome plants.

lobelia
SAM_1090.JPG

Should have bought the ruby one. Really love it.

SAM_1085.JPG

Don't know what it is - could be penstemon or salvia?
The colour scheme here is stunning - some dahlias - scarlet red, some red iridescent coleus, and some red sedum - the coleus is a screamer and an attention seeker ..
SAM_1093.JPG
SAM_1095.JPG
SAM_1097.JPG
SAM_1098.JPG

and this sharp red salvia ..

SAM_1100.JPG

The red is so striking.. time to ditch my camera!

These could be penstemon Mother of pearl - lovely markings in the tongue

SAM_1089.JPG
SAM_1087.JPG

I wonder if I can take cuttings of helenium or rudbeckias

SAM_1081.JPG

They really pack a punch ..

SAM_1083.JPG
SAM_1084.JPG

Always love an honest, open gazania
SAM_1068.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
For those interested in architecture, London OPEN HOUSE is on 16-17 September .. Miss the chance to see The Gherkin, AGAIN! :cry::cry::cry:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Glad that you got the apples right.Thank you We have got water proof jackets. Some people get waterproof trousers to walk their dogs, but they're not breathable.The3rd pic is a salvia. Heleniums are perennials, you could divide them, I'd take cuttings when they're just starting to grow next spring. Rudbeckias if it's the annual i don't think so. If a perennial do the same as heleniums. The mother of pearl is a penstemon. Lovely pics as always.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Do you remember a Gardening program called Gardening time? Would have been in the 80s,i think.They filmed on Clacks farm, think it was in droitwitch. They opened it up for the public on a weekend, we went to see it. It was nice to see where they filmed and the presenters were there.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I really like heleniums and wish I had bought the Sahin Early mentioned by Monty .. but I was pulled magnetically by the achilleas! LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning alll ...
Dear Saturday, I'm so glad we're back together again
I'm sorry you had to see me with Mon-Fri
But I swear I was thinking of you the whole time.
.... :)

Yeah so true...Today I think my time will be filled with three little projects, if I can cram them all in...a Candle, a Rain-chain and a Sauce...so I'm up pretty early (for a weekend) to set off for some supplies...showers predicted today as per normal and the tail end of a hurricane tomorrow, predictable :( Anyhow applicable pics to follow, so lets get started..Have a great day everyone ...Happy Gardening.

Ask a Question