Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
After supper yesterday, I was just sitting under my umbrella watching the smoke rolling into the city , so being lazy in the heat, I snapped a couple pics between sips of ice cold ginger cider. I've trimmed more petunias, should have a nice show again in mid August.
P1040640.JPG
P1040641.JPG

And my begonias are getting floppy.
P1040645.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I Love the yellow begonia! I searched high and low for one yesterday and just can't find it right now. I did get a pink one Wednesday but really want some hostas like Johnny and a yellow begonia. I also want a Christmas Cactus and a Maidenhair fern.
@johnny canoe are those hostas and begonias in that last picture?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely, @johnny canoe I wish I could put a table in my garden the way you do. I remember when we first moved here, nearly 21 years ago, we put a tent outside on the lawn and when we went out again with the in-laws, all the four strings tying the tent down to the ground were broken in a neat way and in no time.

This has puzzled me to this date.

Sneaky @tbendl hunting for plant info again! :p;)

I know I shouldn't be here, but we went out and acquired a free piece of furniture as I didn't want my son to have his laptop on his legs (might damage his virility and we might have to study Handmaid's tale again!:eek::eek::D - Western fertility is on the decline and I blame the laptops and tight jeans!)

We got this bureau lunch time
SAM_0501.JPG

The lady in charge of the nursing home was so nice. She was told to get the council to dump it as charity shop said they were difficult to shift. I love old furniture and this one was made by Remploy .. What a brilliant piece of artwork. It even has a key!

Then we had to lug the laptop table up the stairs and we are both exhausted.

Finally the floor is there ..
SAM_0499.JPG

Forgot to upload this beauty .. Love the petals ..
SAM_0469.JPG

I saw a yellow hibiscus in a diy store - what a beauty .. On my hit list!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy folks :)
Busy morning......sorted out a refund and compensation for someone, garage did not do proper job on her car so they have to pay. Local manager not helpful so a chat with his superior and a threat to take things further did the trick. (y) Arranged for carpet and flooring people to call and give estimates for new build home (3 different firms who will compete on price and quality) and returned to find a parcel of plants on the doorstep. Where did they come from? Arent I lucky? (y)
Beautiful day so far but rain is expected tonight and tomorrow so some grass cutting, dead heading and I transplanted a gaura and a salvia
Well done with the flooring...looks great....and laptop bureau.;) You are quite right, laptops on knees are not good :(

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I was trying to see your answer on 2017 thread only to be cut off by no internet.

Your friend is lucky to have your help. I wanted to help this old lady but the man who walked away with her money said, "Don't you know the law? We had a private company and it went bust and so we couldn't give your friend any money back!" This really depresses me.. All these old ladies were told by Citizens Advice burueau to send recorded delivery their letters; some companies even asked them to send letters to the manufacturers. I am sure the Citizens advice bureau knows that any piece of scum can set up a company, take money from a trustiing lone woman in the morning and the company put into liquidation the afternoon and he could walk away with her money securely in his pocket. If they complain, they would say, "Don't you know the law?"

We have on and off of heavy rain. It stopped just now and rained for only 1 minute! Token rain!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Afternoon all grandparents dutys so today dry day and a little sunshine we went to WWT Wahington wetland centre which isn't far from us 10,7 and 5 all fell asleep in the car on the way back, a few photos
'

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Those little uns are so lucky to have you two as grandparents.. Must have been a good day out for them. I remember waiting to see Kingfisher in a WWT and of course, none was seen. Lovely flamingos. I'm amazed you could actually see an otter .. Usually at WWT, I never knew what I was looking at. Must make a day out with with London zoo tickets from @Grey Parrot .. and another day to Whipsnade zoo. Love the setting of Whipsnade zoo, overlooking the area area Bedfordshire.. a most beautiful zoo setting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all: overcast, dry and warmish - @BigC looking forward to seeing your pergola..
All will be reveled very soon @alp..its only a small Pergola and a revamp of the pond area :)...needs it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@BigC That's great, where are you going to put it?
Over the pond @Logan...and accentuate the Geisha statue a little more, she's lost behind the Iris..The plan is Pergola with either trellis sides and back or woven split bamboo cane to form trellis on sides and back...(the back needs to be a kind of a windbreak as it leads onto the walkway to the back gate) The worn stone slab from the front step will sit on the pond edge and the back of the pergola (stone shelf/plinth) for the Geisha....with gravel and ornamental grasses....at the moment it is still cooking inside my head...hahahahaha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Aftermath...still lots of work to be done after third party Holiday temp. maintenance crew were dismissed..Looks a tad cluttered...at least the grass is green and the Hydrangea is flowering again.
aftermath.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@BigC You're such a perfectionist .. soon you will be another Ranieri - a tinkler .. mess with the perfect in the hope of making it more perfect.

Geisha in your garden:eek:? So wanton .. whatever next?!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, yes! Her kimono alone costs £5000! Remember? But you know what Geisha means? Naughty boy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, yes! Her kimono alone costs £5000! Remember? But you know what Geisha means? Naughty boy!
HAHAHA....Oh yes.....but these days I'd be more interested in a nice cuppa tea....I hear they make a nice pot of char ;):whistle:..but not this one...it's stone cold :)

Ask a Question