Online vs catalog vs local nursery

Reaction score
Where do you buy most of your roses? I have bought almost all of mine from Jackson and Perkins. I like them because they have a money back guarantee on their plants. I have bought some locally. My ex just loved Jackson and Perkins. He thought they had the prettiest roses.

Reaction score
I bought all my roses from nurseries :) I like to but plants like I buy clothes: I like to see them and pick them in person. I'm not a fan of shopping online, at least not plants or electronics.

Reaction score
I can't ever imagine purchasing plants online as i like to see my plants, feel their textures and inhale their fragrance before choosing the ones that are to my liking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
None of my roses were bought by me:p They are gifts from my boyfriend. As far as I know, he found most of them in gardening sections in supermarkets and in florist stores.
I love him so very much and I love my beautiful roses:love:

Reaction score
I only ever buy seeds online - as I like to see what I'm buying when choosing a plant and as I also like to check that the plant is strong and healthy - I would never buy plants online and therefore only buy plants from nurseries and that includes roses which I either buy from nurseries or grow myself from cuttings given by friends :)

Reaction score
This is interesting. As I said I buy almost all of my plants online. I do buy my seeds locally as that comes out cheaper. I may start looking in local nurseries now though. I usually buy seeds (Burpee) at Lowes. For some reason it is cheaper to buy them from Lowes than to buy from Burpee directly, so I go to Burpees web site and select the seeds I want, then go to Lowes to buy them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
-10F-0F
Country
United States
I just started out right now doing herbs, but i want to expand and do flowers and plants and etc, but the nursery we have here is a bit small. The only stores I have that are close is walmart, unless I wanna drive an hour away :(

Reaction score
The roses in my garden are from nurseries. I've never grown roses from seed, but it's something I'd like to do. I think if I were to grow it myself, I would probably go through an online source and buy seeds. I would love to watch the progress of growing my own flowers from the start. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We are fortunate to have a superb rose nursery within driving distance--Chamblee's. The roses I brought with me when we moved to the farm were from Antique Rose Emporium, but when we expanded the flower beds we took a day trip to Chamblee's and got wonderful roses. I don't buy from Walmart or any big-box store because I can't be sure the roses have been treated properly and may be stressed/dried out/diseased.
I'm careful to choose roses that are adapted to our climate and soil, and baby them for the first year. After that, they are on their own. Here are a few of our roses, all from Chamblee's.

Attachments

• Crimson Cascade in full bloom.jpg
    Crimson Cascade in full bloom.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 338
  • Nagodoches rose.jpg
    Nagodoches rose.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 312
  • Julia Child rose.jpg
    Julia Child rose.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 321
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I do both areas, Look in both places to find what fits, what I want, to keep a broad idea of what is out there for a certain plant, to discover. If local there is the "ONE" I want then sure, will pick it up local, but if not, I am shipping it to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't grow roses, and I don't tend to start plants from seed so I rely on local stores only...there are several excellent nurseries near me. Like @marlingardener I don't do big box stores for plants and like to support local business when possible.

That hour drive will be worth it! Walmart plants are so sad, I want to just take them all and give them a good home.My favourite nursery is very well-organized and even has a separate section for native plants, plus the staff are all plant geeks and very helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
-10F-0F
Country
United States
Is there some nice reliable sites to order from, or catalogs that I can have in front of me to brainstorm what I want and how I want it :)..... If I have to make the drive to get some I will

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I get my roses locally, I like the physical activity of looking at the rose and taking it home. I have not gotten into the online shopping yet.

Ask a Question