Online vs catalog vs local nursery

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I order roses I use Heirloom Roses, My favorite place to buy them is a 2 hr drive and I love their name House by the side of the road in New Hampshire, its worth the drive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I want to see the rose before I buy it. As I mentioned in a previous post, we are fortunate to have a rose nursery within a comfortable drive. If you don't, I'd recommend going to a local nursery and choosing roses that are adapted to your location. We have had great success with antique and own-root roses. Some Austin roses do well here, but you have to be careful which ones you choose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I want to see the rose before I buy it...

...I'd recommend going to a local nursery and choosing roses that are adapted to your location...

...be careful which ones you choose.

I fully agree with the quoted statements.

Back when we were planting our garden, we visited a reputable rose breeder that is not local to us. Their roses seemed healthy, so when it was time, we bought bare rooted roses from them online. Unfortunately, one or two died each subsequent year. The reason appeared to be that they were not adapted to our location.

Since then, we have found a local breeder where we can see the roses before buying. They even send an invitation to customers to visit their annual rose exhibition, and give all the advice needed. Since discovering them, we've not lost a single rose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
as this thread is in the "Roses" subject area, all the answers pertain to only purchasing Roses. I only have one Rose shrub, too much shade for more. However, most of my hydrangeas , special shrubs, hostas, and other plants are from mail order and have done very well these past 20 plus years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't found anywhere close that supplies roses fit to buy. Later in the year when I buy bare root it will be online from a nursery I know and trust. It will be interesting to see how the new roses acclimatise as the supplier is six hundred miles south of where I live.

Ask a Question