Anyone buy indoor and/or outdoor plants online?

Have purchased live plants online?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Have you had success buying plants online? There are some plants that I am not able to find locally and I am hoping for some referrals to a reputable online seller. OR if you’ve had a bad experience, that could be useful information as well.
Thanks!
Iris

Reaction score
I buy some plants that are not available in my state online. I have bought all my herbs that aren't found locally from one online gardenshop. I have also bought rooting hormone , keiki paste and stuff like that which are not easy to find where I live online. I would say the experience with regards to buying plants online has been reasonably good. Though it is possible to be disappointed, because the picture on the site doesn't actually match with the plants we buy in terms of size and health.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Personally, I haven't bought any plants online yet, but my mother did. Last year, she bought a plum-tree and a bilberry, they were available on a polish version of eBay. The plants are really healthy and still grow in our garden:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I have always bought plants online from directgardening.com, and some of their affiliate nurseries, and I have had good luck with the plants they sent me. I just planted bush cherries, asparagus, strawberries, and a couple weeping willows that I got from there. They have a replacement guarantee, so if something does not live, you can get it replaced.
The catch is, you HAVE to have the label off of the package to send in for a replacement , so if you order from them, when it arrives, be sure to remove and save the shipping label.
I usually wait until late fall, and then tell them about everything that might not have lived, all at once, assuming that there were some that died.

Reaction score
I have only one experience buying plants online, and it was good. The plants arrived well-watered and protected, but they didn't survive the year in my garden. Too many pests.

I have bought seeds online, varieties I can't get locally from mass market shops.

Reaction score
I just purchased a orchid plant the other day for my kitchen and I must say that it was definitely a positive experience. First off I love orchids I think they are beautiful flowers and secondly they extremely good on my kitchen table as a centerpiece so I am happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My plants have all come from seed, other people, the farmer's market or a nearby garden center. The problem with ordering plants to be shipped to you from somewhere else is that they may not thrive well in your area. I know not everyone has the convenience of city access, but it's always better to get plants from a local source.

Reaction score
My plants have all come from seed, other people, the farmer's market or a nearby garden center. The problem with ordering plants to be shipped to you from somewhere else is that they may not thrive well in your area. I know not everyone has the convenience of city access, but it's always better to get plants from a local source.

That way you would never have the once exotic plants that have now become common place plants. I am so glad to be able to buy plants online. I would love to have a tulip.. I know that this isn't the right weather for the plant , but I hear success stories on the web about how the locals are growing them now. It is really fun to have many new varieties of plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That way you would never have the once exotic plants that have now become common place plants. I am so glad to be able to buy plants online. I would love to have a tulip.. I know that this isn't the right weather for the plant , but I hear success stories on the web about how the locals are growing them now. It is really fun to have many new varieties of plants.

Maddie, we have a lot of variety here and because of the climate we can grow "exotic" and "tropical" plants that people in some other places would not be able to. There are a lot of plants that have made their way around the world as a result of Europeans and others traveling to the East and the "New World". There are many restrictions now though, which is why it's difficult for us to share seeds with each other across oceans. Here in the U.S. some places don't allow you to bring plants across the state lines.

You could grow tulips indoors on the windowsill. I have some bulbs I salvaged that I want to try and get to regrow and flower I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Reaction score
I always wanted to buy house plants from Logee's. I ship plants so I know when sent with care, plants can survive with minimum shock. I've only had bare root strawberries and berries ship to me the strawberries did awesome the berries did not.

Reaction score
I bought all my roses online, from growers in the same province as me, and they are all growing beautifully. I also bought a number of bulbs and roots from Veseys (I think they have a US site as well as a Canadian site) and only 1 root didn't grow. I'm getting a bunch more this fall. I've also bought seeds from Veseys (recommend) Stokes (don't recommend) and a US seller that I cannot remember the name of, because the Canadian sites didn't have creeping thyme and scotch moss seeds. The creeping thyme is growing like crazy, but the scotch moss all died. I like to be able to start as many plants from seedlings as I can, and I like to try unusual plants or different varieties. I lose as many seedlings as I can raise to plant, but the fun is in the trying:)

Reaction score
Maddie, we have a lot of variety here and because of the climate we can grow "exotic" and "tropical" plants that people in some other places would not be able to. There are a lot of plants that have made their way around the world as a result of Europeans and others traveling to the East and the "New World". There are many restrictions now though, which is why it's difficult for us to share seeds with each other across oceans. Here in the U.S. some places don't allow you to bring plants across the state lines.

You could grow tulips indoors on the windowsill. I have some bulbs I salvaged that I want to try and get to regrow and flower I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

That is exactly what I am saying.. if people had not brought plants from different region and grown them we wouldn't have the varieties we have now.
How I wish I could get hold of some tulip bulbs! Channel you could grow them in those bulb vases, they look beautiful blooming in them, and you don't have to worry about watering them.

Reaction score
We have plenty of tulip bulbs here, but I don't grow them because they are very enticing to the squirrels, and we live right in front of the forest, so there are plenty of squirrels. I only planted bulbs the little brats don't like to dig up and eat. Which is how I discovered Allium, and I am now hooked - I'm ordering a bunch more, different varieties, to plant this fall.

Maddie, where do you live? You can get a huge variety of tulip bulbs from Vesey's - I know they have a Canadian and American site.

Reaction score
No I have not bought any online and I would not either. I would like to see them in person. You can buy seeds online though. There are plenty of them. I'm just afraid that it will get ruin in the delivery process. I like to go to Walmart to get all of my plants and flowers. I get all of my seeds at Walmart too. Walmart is the place for me. I love Walmart and I love all of their plants selections. I'm going to buy some more in the future. You can try Walmart too to see what you can buy from there.

Ask a Question