Odd Patches in the Lawn?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,

Firstly, lovely to meet everyone; I'm brand new and fresh out the box with both this and gardening. I recently purchased my first house and the garden was an absolute state (new builds!). I've been working with a close friend and landscaper to get it looking amazing since March and it is looking pretty dandy as a whole and is growing in well. One thing I was very specific about was having "Wembleyesque" lawn. Now, yes, yes, I know I'm not a full time groundsman AND I'm brand new to it but since it has bedded itself in I have to say everyone that has managed to pop over during this crazy period has said the grass looks amazing (and that gives me a little metaphoric tummy rub).

The past week I have however started to notice patches of what looks like dying grass (heartbreak hotel). Patches started off a deep golden cider colour, then moved to papery brown/ white so I think it's dying. Nothing major just yet, small patches but as I am out there twice a day giving it a drink (early AM and after sundown) I notice every small change.

When we first moved in we have an absolute mammoth infestation of Leatherjack bstards! My landscaper buddy said he'd seen patches of them before but my whole lawn was caked in them. We sent in the Nematode heroes to get to work on the whole lawn really good before we laid the turf and they seemed to die out fairly quickly (but it was also the season for them to solidify and emerging as those flying crane flies). They did seem to mainly disappear. Some stayed about but I guess that's nature and....life will find a away.

I am sure over the course of the time I live here I will not be able to maintain the greenest most perfect lawn but damned if I am not going to try and get it looking amazing all the time.

Please help!

Pictures: the pictures do not do it justice to be perfectly honest but they do stand out when you're walking across the lawn.

Attachments

• IMG_6188 (1).jpg
    IMG_6188 (1).jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_6192.jpg
    IMG_6192.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_6191.jpg
    IMG_6191.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 103
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @WarlKicken - well now Karl, maybe you`re just showing off ;) I can`t see anything wrong with your grass. Maybe a feed would make it even better, but as long as you don`t cut it too short during hot weather it should be fine.
With a water meter here I wouldn`t be able to even think of watering my grass - all 4 acres of it, but even after a long dry summer when it goes brown in places it always bounces back after a drop of rain.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Awh! haha, bragging wasn't the intention. I just noticed these patches of seemingly dead grass appearing. It does look worse in person, that on the photos. White papery grass compared to my bloody lovely lawn. I'm out there so much at the moment I'm managing to see every inch and just wanted to catch something before it got "bad" if it was.

What kind of feeds are good, if I can ask?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:giggle: it`s no good asking me, you will have to wait for another lawn freak to answer. I have a mulching deck on my tractor and my grass feeds itself !!!!!
Do you grow trees, shrubs and flowers ....or veggies - or is it just 'lawn' :unsure:

As an afterthought, does the white look powdery? If you are watering every night it`s possible you have powdery mildew.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/lawn-care/lgen/powdery-mildew-on-grass.htm maybe this link will help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a similar problem and been told it's called red thread - very common this year apparently because of our summer weather conditions in the UK. I've been told to treat it with a dressing of nitrogen, which won't work instantly, but will eventually get rid of it.

Ask a Question