Odd Browning of Squash Leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted a bunch of zucchini in a pot a few weeks back. Everything was fine up until 5-6 days ago. It was then I noticed some irregular browning of a few of the bottom leaves (not all of them), which I concluded to be the result of insect damage. As a preventative measure, I used a neem oil/soap spray to ensure additional short-term damage wouldn’t arise. Unfortunately, I discovered 3 days later that the plants’ condition had deteriorated - an unusual yellowing/browning of localized leaf sections developed and spread to both other older and newer leaves. Normally, when this occurs, I rule out that some type of fungus is to blame. But upon closer inspection of the brown areas, the surface looks as though a brownish/greenish mold (like those that would be found on wood or other wet surfaces) has found its way onto the leaves. It’s odd to say the least. One other point worth noting is that is that almost every old bottom leaf has completely yellowed at the time of writing.

If I had to point a finger to one condition that is at the root of this calamity, I would say it is botrytis - although there is little to no gray visible.

If anyone has an idea as to what ailment(s) is/are affecting the overall health of these plants, please share whatever input you may have.

(The photo depicting this problem was taken yesterday)

Attachments

• BF49C680-E5EA-48B7-839A-B526981B8D24.jpeg
    BF49C680-E5EA-48B7-839A-B526981B8D24.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 135
Reaction score
Country
United States
Its not botrytis, its from too much water at some point in the past few weeks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its not botrytis, its from too much water at some point in the past few weeks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting! I did not realize the leaves could develop symptoms of overwatering in that manner. A few days prior to me starting this thread, we did receive around 2 inches of rain in a 24-36 hour period.

In order to nurse the plants back to full health, would it be best to prune off any significantly yellowed leaves and wait a little while to see if any rebounding occurs?

Ask a Question