Problem with Camellia leaves--very odd

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi All,
I have a dwarf camellia (I don't remember the name, I do know that it's not a shishi) that's been lovely for the last three years that it's been in the ground. Just today I noticed really strange 'clumps' of light green, very thick (succulent-like) leaves on the ends of about 6 stems. The thick leaves are rounded and curled and the 'skin' on the back of them peels off. I don't see any evidence of bugs or disease.

Does anyone know what this may be? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6564.jpg
    IMG_6564.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_6565.jpg
    IMG_6565.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 115

Twigs

Nature Hobbyist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone8
Country
United States
Camellia Leaf Gall, fungus of the leaves. The new emerging leaves thicken and turn different colors. You should check your bush maybe twice a week and clip off the affected leaves before the galls matures and spores start to spread.
Additionally, make sure to sterilize your pruners after every cut so you don’t spread the fungus to other stems. Don’t put the cuttings in your compost pile. It will spread...throw it in the trash.
Try to reduce the amount of water that gets on the leaves. These things should help.

Ask a Question