Problem with ‘Happy’ all purpose compost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are using ‘Happy’ all purpose compost made by Bord na Mona uk ltd, to germinate seeds and grow young plants on before planting out in the garden. The seeds germinate but then don’t grow or develop despite being well watered, additional Nutrients added and in ideal temperature and light conditions. Tomatoes, peppers, spinach, beetroot are just not growing. Peas are ok, but probably because they have a large reserve in the seed. Is anyone else having problems?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Happy earth soil, is a soil amendment to add to the garden soil, not a potting mix. Can you post a photo of the "Happy" mix you are talking about.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oneeye, thank you for your response, but no, this product is supposed to be all purpose, including sowing seeds.
0E49FF47-D0C0-4D60-A988-A206CB494D41.jpeg
0E49FF47-D0C0-4D60-A988-A206CB494D41.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh yes you have the right mix. I have had super results using organic rich potting mix for starting seeds. However it can be a little tricky because of water retention. The way I use a rich organic mix, is by using smaller cells instead of large containers to start my seeds. The red and blue 12 oz plastic Solo cups are ok for starting seeds in too. If the mix holds too much water it will cut off the oxygen in the roots before the seed sprouts. I soak the soil in the beginning one time, and then cut my water for about 10 days or until the cells are dry. The plants below are the last of the seeds for this year out of about 300 plants. Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1494.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 82
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is that a mix or pure compost?
I appreciate your thoughts outlined in more detail in your email. You make some valid points, particularly if this was a soil conditioner with high nutrient levels it would not be suitable for young seedlings. But this compost Is sold as all purpose and it says on the packaging ‘for successful seed sowing’.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yes you have the right mix. I have had super results using organic rich potting mix for starting seeds. However it can be a little tricky because of water retention. The way I use a rich organic mix, is by using smaller cells instead of large containers to start my seeds. The red and blue 12 oz plastic Solo cups are ok for starting seeds in too. If the mix holds too much water it will cut off the oxygen in the roots before the seed sprouts. I soak the soil in the beginning one time, and then cut my water for about 10 days or until the cells are dry. The plants below are the last of the seeds for this year out of about 300 plants. Good luck
I have been using similar multipurpose ’composts’ for more than 30 years and never had a problem like this. I’m hoping that some UK gardeners may have used this particular brand and tell me their experiences. thanks again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
By measuring your water you can minimize your nutrients releasing into the soil. I have use many different mixes and the difference between the substrates were water management. Its not the soil its the water management or person watering that get results.

Attachments

• IMG_1495.JPG
    IMG_1495.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 97
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have started seeds in Roots Organic potting mix that is 4966 ppm and the same seeds in a Pro-mix BX with only 369 ppm. Both mixes had 98 % success the only difference was the low ppm needed watering more frequently than the 4966 mix. Its not the mix its the watering that is the problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some mixes need to be sifted through a screen for finer texture for seeds like Poppies and other tiny seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I buy one bag of Topsoil and one bag of Composted cow manure and mix them together and that's what I use for seed germination. No problems and it's very cheap -- right around $5 total combined. I buy the cheapest of both types.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is that a mix or pure compost?
In the UK, they often refer to blending potting/planting media as 'compost', rather than potting soil or potting media. Howeve, they do also refer to decomposed organic matter a scompost, as we do in the North America. One must be alert to context to avoid confusion.

It really is a shame when a single word is used for two or more related concepts that could be easily confused and need to be fully distinguished. The worst example of this is the word 'organic', which has three commonly used definitions which are not only fully distinct, but in some contexts can be completely contrary to each another. Try explaining why pesticides derived from organic chemistry are not allowed in organic gardens, while entirely non-organic materials such as elemental sulphur are certified as organic.

Ask a Question