Clivia roots look odd...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I have a clivia growing in semi hydroponics (in clay hydroponics media placed in a shallow layer of nutrient solution) and while the plant is definitely growing (over the past week or two it has grown a new leaf) I have noticed that the roots above the media (consisting of roots that the plant already had when I bought it) have conspicuous black and white sections that do not look very healthy (the rest of the above substrate roots are green). What's all the more confusing is that the rest of the plant - including the numerous thick, white new roots the Clivia made after being transplanted to this pot, many of which branch off these unhealthy looking roots - look very healthy and robust. Should I be worried about the above-media roots, and if so what should I do about them? If this helps, the Clivia is a few feet from a southern window, gets supplemental lighting from a 5000k LED daylight bulb 15 hrs a day, and its nutrient solution is derived from a gallon of water to which I add 2.5 ml each Flora Gro, Flora Bloom, and Flora micro. I can also provide a picture if that would be helpful. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Photo would help a lot.
No prob! Here we go;
Problem area.jpeg
Roots.jpeg
Elizabeth.jpeg
I took a closer look at the 'problem' area, and I am coming to suspect that the 'black' areas on the roots are actually covered in a residual layer of dirt from when the plant was a traditional houseplant. The white deposit came off cleanly when I touched the roots...I think it may be a thin salt deposit from the nutrient solution. What do you think? (If it really was such an inconsequential thing...sorry for throwing such a fuss about this!:rolleyes:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love your grow Lordjoshaeus. If your hydro roots are turning a dark brown or black, the plant is probably just beginning to suffer from root rot, a problem that will kill it slowly as it suffocates the roots. Root rot is caused by the build-up of bacteria, fungi, and mold on roots from not getting enough oxygen. When running DWC one needs a aquarium pump to oxygenate the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love your grow Lordjoshaeus. If your hydro roots are turning a dark brown or black, the plant is probably just beginning to suffer from root rot, a problem that will kill it slowly as it suffocates the roots. Root rot is caused by the build-up of bacteria, fungi, and mold on roots from not getting enough oxygen. When running DWC one needs a aquarium pump to oxygenate the water.
That's the confusing bit...the below ground roots look VERY healthy, with no evidence of rot (you'll notice that the second picture shows the roots below 'ground'...no sign of rotting). Only the above ground roots (with free access to air) show the odd colors. The water level is only a third to a fourth of the way up the pot the plant is growing in, so I would not expect root rot to be a problem for most of the plant; even the root tips at the bottom of the pot look healthy.

EDIT: I decided to attempt to clean parts of the aboveground roots, and discovered the black layer is a thin veneer, covering perfectly healthy roots...I guess I flipped out over dirt residue. Sorry :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Without oxygen roots will suffer in time and that's with hydroponics or soil grows. In hydro you have to have exposure to a lot of oxygen or the roots will rot. If your cup is setting in liquid you will need to add oxygen to the liquid or have dry time exposing it to air daily. Also, I would just do flora series mix at 2-2-2 ml for an easier mix. Your grow is super and I think you are doing a wonderful job.

Ask a Question