Avocado transplant broken roots

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I just planted a 4 ft tall hass avocado tree in my yard but when I was taking the tree out of its pot to plant into the ground half the Roots broke off, basically all the bottom portion of the roots stayed in the pot and now I’m worried the tree will not survive. Should I give up on the tree and get another one? (I don’t want to waste time on a tree that might not survive) I would hate to spend so much money on a new tree unless I have to. I have a small yard so planting two will not work for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello. I just planted a 4 ft tall hass avocado tree in my yard but when I was taking the tree out of its pot to plant into the ground half the Roots broke off, basically all the bottom portion of the roots stayed in the pot and now I’m worried the tree will not survive. Should I give up on the tree and get another one? (I don’t want to waste time on a tree that might not survive) I would hate to spend so much money on a new tree unless I have to. I have a small yard so planting two will not work for me.
If I understand correcty, the large main roots are OK and what was damaged were the small hairy looking feeder roots? If so your tree will probably survive but it will suffer major transplant shock. It will take time for a full recovery but here is what I would do. I would go to a nursery and get a small bottle of SuperThrive and every time you water or fertilize use this product as instructed. Use this product ASAP. Your tree will probably lose most or all of its leaves so don't worry if this happens. If you think the tree is dead scratch the bark and if any color of green is observed the tree is still alive. And please update your profile so we will all know where you are located and also fill in your hardiness zone.

Ask a Question