Coleus roots

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently transplanted my young coleus plants, I have been growing them for 84 days. I noticed when I was taking them out, the root systems seemed to be quite small in relation to the size of the plant. This is the first time I’ve grown coleus and I was wondering if they are a healthy size. Thanks!!
BC943D2C-78C4-459C-BD18-7F7D2FDCB9FB.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do think the Coleus grown from seed months ago here were significantly longer, very skinny and delicate, but longer. Be careful, especially if there is a chance those baby roots were left in the container? Overwatering will cause short roots. But your plant appears healthy. Perhaps overwatering at some point resulted in the short roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The plant looks vigorous and the leaves have excellent color. It would appear that the root system is adequate and doing its job. I would suggest though that the next time you replant you leave more soil on the rootball to minimize setback. Some of the new roots are so small they are almost invisible. You don’t want to disturb those roots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks so much silentrunning and joyjoy 3333 for your replies!

To joyjoy3333’s response: It is possible that the smaller roots were cut off when being transplanted. I’ll have to be more careful about that in the future. I’m not sure I’m over watering them, but I’ve not been staying on a good watering schedule, do you have any tips on that?

To your suggestion, silentrunner, I will be sure to collect more soil along with the roots. I feel like accidentally cutting off some of the roots was the problem here.

The last question I have is, if cutting some of the roots off is the case, are there any steps I need to take to ensure the plants keep on track with growing well?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant looks very healthy and attractive! Do not stress the root right now, celebrate the gorgeous plant baby you helped bring into the world! Lol.
As for watering, I am a recovering overwater-er. On Wednesdays I celebrate "water change Wednesdays" with my many many aquariums and deck "ponds." It gave rise to "water-me Wednesdays" so I was not wasting excellent water coming from the fish. I have a little song I humm and everything. Seriously. Haha!
I had to purchase a moisture meter, but that is not really helpful for sprouting seeds.
How about this. I have a pack of coleus seeds recently "gifted" me by my boss. I know he wants me to sprout them as he is dying to try pinching them back different ways to get bushy plants. Yes, nerd-city, but we have good times! I will try my very best to start the seeds today at work. What were the conditions you sprouted yours under? This is NOT a competition, simply a way we can help each other out. Though I may be getting the best part of the help lol.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whoops! Im sorry I missed your reply Joyjoy! Also sorry if I missed your work day. This sounds like a great idea!

They’ve grown from seed fully indoors. They were really crowded in the pot that they were in. (not totally sure of the pots measurements, but I believe it was 2 gallons). The pot was set at a south facing window. I watered kind of when I felt like it, because I didn’t look to much into coleus care. This is because I didn’t have that high of hopes for them as they were pretty old seeds. Anyway, I’d say I watered them every couple of days about 4 tablespoons. (Which is a very rough estimate) when they were very small, I probably watered them about 2 tablespoons. They’ve been going for 89 days now.

Thanks so much for the continued help!! And the help is definitely mutual... but glad to help if I do. (Oh and one more thing... I love competitions... lol)

Ask a Question