Coleus

Reaction score
Soooo I had no idea that these flower needed to be clipped and saved to regrow them!If the plant before there will actually make its offspring grow I'd love to hear it! If not.... Sooo I plan to regrow them I guess....everywhere on line suggests from seeds. How fast does that take?
When is the best time to plant them outside so I know how long to keep them in their planters.
I live in GA and we've had that odd winter right now, so I'm not sure yet, if it is over.

Suggestions in general to this would be awesome, thanks!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi April, Coleus plants are one of my favorite plants, I like all the colors that they can come in, some have ruffled leaves, some purple, some green and some reds.

Anyway, in my area the Coleus plant is put out in the spring likes shade and if you want to keep the plant growing you must take it inside at the first frost. It will not re-grow once it has died.
solenostemonscutellarioidesmeanderinglinda_jwb_2_sq.jpg
th

Reaction score
Yeah figured out the hard way. I stuck in the ground and assumed nothing! XD Lazy I suppose last year. So, if I get some seeds and put them in planters inside, when is the best time to plant them moth and time wise?

Reaction score
I love Coleus too and nowadays with all the color choices and different foliage varieties available - often find I land up with many more than I planned on having - which is often a bit of a problem for me - as I have a very limited amount of shade in which to grow them and there are only a few varieties that can take a lot of sun.

Where I live - like Pat has already mentioned - although Coleus are annuals - we do manage to keep them going all year by overwintering the plants inside - as well as using this time to multiply them - by taking cuttings and rooting them ready for planting out in the spring.

Although I have grown Coleus both from seed and by purchasing young plants - my choice would be to buy the young plants - as I've always been disappointed with the seeds - because however rare the variety they say it is on the packet or whatever color they say it is supposed to be - all the plants seem to turn into rather nondescript plants that bear no resemblance to the description on the seed packet :(

However if I was planning to grow them from seed - now is when I would be sowing them - in plastic bottles outside that work like mini greenhouses.

Reaction score
Okay that is some good ideas. Yeah I called nuseries. The two best in town said late march is a stretch but around April for sure. I think I would wait till then too if that is the case I understand. Just depends. Sounds like a good idea! I got lots of coke bottles. Lol I'll see about getting some seeds and soil in a few or so. I only have.....3x2 foot maybe to grow 'em in. Worked last time real well...LolI had maybe 7 in there total got huge.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't like to see my plants die so I pinch them back, start new ones from cuttings and have them all over the house. The last few years it has been hard to find the plants at the nursery's, I really had to do some hunting to find the few I did find for the yard.

They are easy plants to care for, they just need water once you get them in the ground.

Good luck with your plants.

Reaction score
Coleus is one of my favorites not only for its color and texture varieties but is easiness in growing it. I live in the northeast and generally don't plant them until May. They do like full sun and they look and grow better in brighter light. Also, I pinch the flowers which helps the plant to get a bushier look. The flowers are unremarkable so its worth it for me to do it.

Ask a Question