Coleus Sprout?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought some coleus seeds online and planted in some seed starting tray last week. I see some sprouting but it doesn't look like coleus sprouts. Can you identify what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_7070.JPG
    IMG_7070.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_7073.JPG
    IMG_7073.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 266

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's probably fungus inherent in the compost!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was thinking in the same thing but I wasn’t sure. Do I simply just pull out the sprout? Should I treat the soil with hydrogen peroxide and water mix? This is my first time deed planting, so, any tip would help. Thanks.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Not all seeds are delicate, but I haven't tried coleus though I must admit, a mad woman like me always buy seeds and then stare at the packet and say to myself, "Not now!" So two years have passed by and the packet stared at me yesterday, AGAIN! :LOL:

Hope someone else can give you some pointers! I generally microwave mine if I want to plant delicate seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I did coleus last year and had now plants than I knew what to do with, nearly 100% germination. Just pull the little fungus out, should be fine. I had several s well and just plucked then out.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I did coleus last year and had now plants than I knew what to do with, nearly 100% germinatio

Exactly what I thought. What am I going to do with them? I need air purifying plants now and coleus is more or less a houseplant. I won't be able to move around the house if I sow them. Another bad purchase!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Exactly what I thought. What am I going to do with them? I need air purifying plants now and coleus is more or less a houseplant. I won't be able to move around the house if I sow them. Another bad purchase!

No way, coleus is beautiful! I had them all over the yard for lots of visual interest. Would have preferred some, but e didn't have any good windows to put them in. The one I did pot didn't make it long.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I might try the seeds this year to see if they can stay outdoors in the UK! Probably not!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I might try the seeds this year to see if they can stay outdoors in the UK! Probably not!
Yes they are fine in our gardens @alp, although only as annuals Bring them indoors and they will last as houseplants.

I grew loads in the garden 3 yrs ago ...beautiful foliage!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes they are fine in our gardens @alp, although only as annuals Bring them indoors and they will last as houseplants.

I grew loads in the garden 3 yrs ago ...beautiful foliage!

Yes, why did I buy annuals? I'm tooooo mean! Perennial is my middle name! :eek::LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:ROFLMAO::DI know what you mean! But I do love to ring the changes each year with different annuals too!(y)

Ask a Question