Coleus

Reaction score
I'm not even sure I spelled the name of this flower correctly but I am wondering if this could be an inside plant? I love how these flowers thrive on very little water and lots of sun. They go very far in such a short period of time.

Reaction score
Hi sweetkymom - yes you did spell the name correctly :D

Coleus - Colorful coleus.jpg

Coleus is an extremely versatile plant with many, many different varieties to choose from and although mostly grown as annual - due to the fact that it is not at all hardy and can very quickly meet an untimely demise when exposed to cold temperatures - it can in some climates be grown as a perennial and an indoor plant.

It does however do best when grown outside during the summer months and then overwintered inside during the colder months. All varieties whether inside or out require well drained fairly moisture retentive soil - but the light requirements will vary dependent on the variety - as not all varieties fair too well in full sun and some need to be placed in a bright but shady spot.

Reaction score
They can be grown inside but they do need a bright, sunny location. They will also need to be pinched back fairly often or they get leggy. I always nip off the flowers as well to promote even greater bushiness.

Reaction score
I had several of those when I was younger, I had the green reddish variety. I tried it growing it indoors but I was never successful, the plant started looking pale. I had to take it out and that's when it started to thrive :) This plant can't be a little tricky, So if you don't have a spot indoors with bright light then you should definitely leave it outdoors.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have grown the plant indoors but mostly outside during the summer. I take it inside for the winter. You do have to have a full sun spot and do not move it around.

Ask a Question