Coleus from seed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I started a bunch of coleus from seed and most of it has sprouted (even the seeds that feel between pods! Those seeds are tiny! ) since this is a shade loving plant, how much light should I be giving them right now? I have grow lights but I would think they need less than other plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I grow seedlings from seeds every year. My seedlings grow under a phyto lamp, sometimes on the northeast window.In any case, they are growing successfully. Even if the seedlings now get a little stretched, then you can add the soil around the stem. They will have lateral roots and will look good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks, I was just concerned I was giving then them too much light. I have morning glory, pansies, tomato, peppers, onion, cilantro and cantaloupe all going and all looking good so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Koleus prefers warmth and bright sun, but in hot weather, the koleus must be protected from the midday sun.
Several hours of sun (without fanaticism!) during the day will be necessary for them in the summer, for bright leaves. But this is in our climate. We do not have many very hot days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
We have in the summer 25 -30 Celsius (77 -86 Fahrenheit). My koleus grow in direct sun almost all day.

IMG_2023.JPG

In the shadow.

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG

On the sunny window.

IMG_1127.JPG

In our climate, on the sun is definitely better.
If the temperature is higher, it is possible that the leaves may burn out.
unknown.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yours looks great! I love this stuff! I'm hoping to use it to fill in some shady spots with color so I guess we will see what happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
I grow the seedlings under the most light i can give it. (wizard mix) different colors will pop and appear different colors in shade vs full sun. Shade seems to make the colors more vibrant and the ones in full sun wash out a little but also grow better.

Ask a Question