Are these rootstocks still viable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ordered some MM106 semi-dwarfing apple rootstocks online I intended to take them from the package and plant them immediately. However due to external factors I was unable to plant the rootstocks for approximately 18 days after I received them
:(

During this time they were sealed in the package which was several layers thick and were kept in a cool place. I've recently taken them from the package and planted them using plenty of water to rehydrate the roots.

They do not have any visible damage and there is no smell of mould. Are these rootstocks still viable?

mCweBSA.jpg

qg40FTx.jpg

xciQNfd.jpg

u8BkpDe.jpg

QYNIIno.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

They look fine, they'll just be coming out of dormancy so get them in and hopefully you'll see buds soon (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thats good to hear. I think I'll just have to wait until they start budding to be certain, how long approximately will that be do you think. I'm looking to start grafting scions onto these soon

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
One of our apples is budding at the moment, another way to tell is to scrape a small bit of the outer bark back to see if it's still green underneath.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok will give that a try tomorrow. I'm guessing mine are going to be a bit behind schedule for coming out of dormancy because they have only recently been exposed to light and enough water. Is that right?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ok will give that a try tomorrow. I'm guessing mine are going to be a bit behind schedule for coming out of dormancy because they have only recently been exposed to light and enough water. Is that right?

That would be my guess too :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @cathal670. I think those look pretty healthy, and it's an interesting project..... something I have never done, so I had a look on good ol' google and found this video. Thought I would post it on here in case it has interest for anyone...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use these grafting shears from Amazon to cut them into shape, too dangerous using a knife I think, but maybe thats just me. Yeah its an interesting project, sure is good when they start budding.

Attachments

• grafter2.jpg
    grafter2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 166
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick followup. I think they all survived, I've grafted them all and the rootstocks are showing leaf growth and while grafting I noticed these things (in the photo) on the under soil portions that I believe to be new roots. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, that's all looking very healthy...... I shall give Zigs a shout to come and have a look (y)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, new roots and all looking good :)

You could plant them to the depth to cover the new roots now they've formed, otherwise the sunlight will kill them off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The roots in some cases were very high as the plants were kept kind of deep in that pot I had, I didn't expect the roots to grow so high up. I've planted them all now in smaller containers and as expected some of the new roots were destroyed, but fortunately mostly I was able to bury most of them under surface level.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You really need to water them very well or even dunk them in water for an hour or two. Transit shock can't be underestimated.

Ask a Question