Clivia blooming with short stalk

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had a Clivia for over 20 years. Back when it was young it would produce a huge cluster of blooms on a Long stalk (over 12 inches). The plant continues to bloom every year but, over the last 5 years or so, the stalk never seems to exceed 3 to 4 inches in length. Any ideas ??
Thanks !

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had divided it a few times in the past but had let it grow out in the last few years. It became pretty large so I recently took it way back to about 1/4 the overgrown size. It has a new bloom starting but this one looks to be a short one as well. Overall this plant appears healthy and grows robustly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had divided it a few times in the past but had let it grow out in the last few years. It became pretty large so I recently took it way back to about 1/4 the overgrown size. It has a new bloom starting but this one looks to be a short one as well. Overall this plant appears healthy and grows robustly.
The last few years? Maybe it is time to divide it again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've had a Clivia for over 20 years. Back when it was young it would produce a huge cluster of blooms on a Long stalk (over 12 inches). The plant continues to bloom every year but, over the last 5 years or so, the stalk never seems to exceed 3 to 4 inches in length. Any ideas ??
Thanks !
Short answer: I have no idea:D

The only reason I'm responding to this thread is because I looked up "Clivia" and noticed it reminded me of a plant that I accidentally found in my yard, which I believe is a Pink Rain Lily and after comparing the two I noticed they (Rain Lily and Clivia) are in the same Family. I initially found this plant in my yard where I mow grass and transplanted it to my garden and that's when I saw that very nice looking flowers.

Since that time I've found more in the grass and I relocate them all the time and they are very good at propagating, very hardy plant. BTW, I've never bought lilies from the store and I never seen them around my neighborhood, so not sure how they got into my yard, but I'm sure a lot of people end up just mowing over them, that's what I was doing, until I decided to start looking for what grows in my yard.

I've also noticed that there are times that the length of the flower stalk varies, not only that, but I've seen flowering stalks come out of the ground with no foliage around, in other words I didn't even know there was a lily there; interesting plant...

Here are some pics:

This is a pic of a flowering stalk with no foliage around:confused:

This one seems to be a slightly different variant :confused:

Reaction score
Country
United States
This morning it dropped a couple of blooms. I've been "cutting back" new growth from the surface
CLIVIA1.jpg
as it appears - should I be taking this out of the pot and cutting back the roots or, maybe, it's just an aging plant. I appreciate the responses - those lily's are very nice !!

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is definitely root bound. My understanding has been that Clivia will not bloom unless it is root bound. Not sure how I came to this understanding but maybe I should remove it from the pot and cut the roots back like with Bonsai. I wouldn't normally think much about this type of issue but the plant was a gift from a dear friend and I'd like to see this thrive, not just exist. Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is definitely root bound. My understanding has been that Clivia will not bloom unless it is root bound. Not sure how I came to this understanding but maybe I should remove it from the pot and cut the roots back like with Bonsai. I wouldn't normally think much about this type of issue but the plant was a gift from a dear friend and I'd like to see this thrive, not just exist. Thanks!!!
There is root bound and then there is ROOT BOUND. In a severely constricted root situation you will have a nutrition problem which in turn will make for less foliage growth.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like this plant will be getting a root prune & some new soil. Thanks for the help with this !

Ask a Question