New garden ideas Spanish coastline

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi There I am completely new to this forum and to gardening but have just bought a Villa in the Valencian Province of Spain. Part of the land (920 meters sq) leads and connects to the beach. I really would like to grow food but obviously things that grow well in this tundra And climate..... additionally I am very interested in meditation so a tranquil zone.... I can’t put buildings on this land and there is zero shade...... At the moment it is just scrub land leading to the dunes..... I am intending to transform it as my little project and want to work on a tight budget........any ideas? Suggestions? Any guidance would be really appreciated....

the lawnsman

lawn and garden super freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
sounds like a mysteriously beautiful place, post some pictures!

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Well it could be I hope! Here is a picture taken from the nice part of the house through to the area with possibilities.... my land goes through the fence and gates and ends right up at the border of the sand dunes that you can see in the distance. The climate is very hot in July August 90f + with not much rain but after that it goes down to around 75 sept, Oct, May June and steady 60-70 the other months. I was thinking palm trees but I think they grow slowly and there is a good access route to deliver fully grown ones (maybe along the beach).... anyhow any advice would be great I am wondering where to start!
C0B6D2B9-FBF7-4CAA-8C02-6C2EDE5E346D.jpeg

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd get up and go for a stroll, see what other people are growing, see what street trees there are, visit local garden centres and such like.
Whatever you plant big or small will need irrigation at least until established, so give thought to drip lines etc.
My experience of beach plantings consist of dunes full of marram grass and sea buckthorn and sea fronts with tamarisk.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I'd get up and go for a stroll, see what other people are growing, see what street trees there are, visit local garden centres and such like.
Whatever you plant big or small will need irrigation at least until established, so give thought to drip lines etc.
My experience of beach plantings consist of dunes full of marram grass and sea buckthorn and sea fronts with tamarisk.
Great advice...will do thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Well it could be I hope! Here is a picture taken from the nice part of the house through to the area with possibilities.... my land goes through the fence and gates and ends right up at the border of the sand dunes that you can see in the distance. The climate is very hot in July August 90f + with not much rain but after that it goes down to around 75 sept, Oct, May June and steady 60-70 the other months. I was thinking palm trees but I think they grow slowly and there is a good access route to deliver fully grown ones (maybe along the beach).... anyhow any advice would be great I am wondering where to start!View attachment 71167

Maybe a Madagascan Grandidier's Baobab tree (Adonsonia Grandidieri) or a Yemenese Dragon Blood Tree (Dracaena Cinnabari), a Clanwilliam Cedar (Widdringtonia Wallichii), and some Rottnest Island Cypress (Callitris Preissii)? Among Cycads, I would recommend species under the genus Dioone, Encephalartos, and Macrozamia - all native to the tropical, semi-arid environments and dry forests of Africa, Australia, and Mexico and Central America. Among palms, I recommend Hyophorbe Lagenicaulis (Bottle Palm). Be aware that the nutritional needs of cycads differ from the palm trees that they superficially resemble; also be sure to keep all cycads in areas closed off from the public - their fruitlike seeds are poisonous, and could probably saddle you with lawsuits if someone's pet gets sick from eating them. I made a post on another thread with some dedicated cycad resources here.

1280px-Adansonia_grandidieri02.jpg

Socotra_dragon_tree.JPG

cedar-tree.jpg

800px-Callitris_Preissii_-_Anstey_Hill.jpg

2_juvenile_Hyophorbe_lagenicaulis_-_Grand_Port_Mauritius.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum Michael :) How about growing opuntias - they like dry hot sandy places and they are also edible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Toss in some Agaves, Aloes and Euphorbias with Preservers suggestions and have a low water Surrealist landscape! Or use Mediterranean herbs, shrubs and trees to blend with the existing landscape. You’ve got lots of space (you lucky guy!:sick:), so let your imagination free!

Ask a Question