Looking for front garden design ideas

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone and thanks for the add!
I just renovated three front garden area of my house and I have been racking my brain about what to plant and where. I knew for sure that I wanted a Japanese crimson Maple tree. So, I got that far but now that I planted it, I'm doubting my original vision. I'm keeping the maple tree but now I'm thinking I should have planted it in the middle and planted a six foot green arbor tree to the left. Definitely want to have a lot of colors and perennials. Less maintenance the better. I'm on Long island, zone 7 I believe.
IMG_20200531_174833378.jpg

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Xvin99 .
My first tip would be to check the acidity/alkalinity of your soil. At least then we can determine if your Maple will thrive or not. They like to be in acid soil. If we know that will be happy, we could start to suggest what else would thrive there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I just renovated three front garden area of my house and I have been racking my brain about what to plant and where. I knew for sure that I wanted a Japanese crimson Maple tree. So, I got that far but now that I planted it, I'm doubting my original vision. I'm keeping the maple tree but now I'm thinking I should have planted it in the middle and planted a six foot green arbor tree to the left. Definitely want to have a lot of colors and perennials. Less maintenance the better. I'm on Long island, zone 7 I believe. View attachment 66332

I would add some contrast color--something with a bit of yellow like variegated hollies or ligustrum privet. Nothing that grows tall, but shrub to cover the gray base of the house. The yellow foliage with the maple tree would be striking. Then you could do a few annuals around the edge for pops of color or perennial ground cover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

Don't take this personally.
A lot depends on for whom you are doing this.

Is it for you, or passers by?
As an example, that's a very nice maple, but it will be hard to see from that window even when it grows.

How big is this garden?

What does it look like from the road?

We have a very small front garden. It was originally planted so we can see what we have from our window.

P1030991.JPG

OK, the plantings been there for thirty years and it's all grown above the height of the perimeter wall and there's a nice aspect from the road. But that was never important to us.

We're no different from most of our neighbours in that respect.

P1030992.JPG

It depends on the size of the garden. I'd make the border deeper so the planting isn't just under the window and can eventually be seen from that room.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for your suggestions everyone. I did some shopping with the wife over the weekend and we were determined to make some
IMG_20200606_174626464.jpg
progress. So, we are a little more than half way there and we are happy so far! Now we just have to decide on what to put in the quarter round space next to the steps. We want something with color. All of the other spots we're going to fill in with annuals. And yes, I'm going to divert the gutter when I have some time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just renovated three front garden area of my house and I have been racking my brain about what to plant and where. I knew for sure that I wanted a Japanese crimson Maple tree. So, I got that far but now that I planted it, I'm doubting my original vision. I'm keeping the maple tree but now I'm thinking I should have planted it in the middle and planted a six foot green arbor tree to the left. Definitely want to have a lot of colors and perennials. Less maintenance the better. I'm on Long island, zone 7 I believe. View attachment 66332

Yo

Ask a Question