Plant Choices

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

First post here and have loved goOmg through others projects And assistance that has been given!

We recently moved and our backyard was destroyed so we removed everything and added in some turf for our son to have some room to play. We have some planters now that are bare (with the exception of two vines my wife wanted) and would love some help/advice on what you think would go well/look good!

There’s 3 different areas that I’ll show.
1) Area with bender board near the turf we would like to do vines, shrubs and flowers. It receives direct sun for about 7-10 hours a day (far side less sun and near side more sun...that’s where the hour range comes from)
A76098F5-C240-4B82-B0EB-C5EE2489EB03.jpeg

CF61B811-BC0E-43F1-8932-0250441AD3D8.jpeg

2) Enclosed planter area we would like to have some trees or bushes that provide some privacy since this is where the other homes are really able to see in. It receives sun for 90-95% of the day. We had a friend suggest Privets for that location. We would like it to look nice, trimmed and not disheveled but still have that privacy factor. We are even open to alternating trees and plants.
63CC178D-3CF3-458C-B3AD-0B0992D2692E.jpeg

38E78E89-BE66-4A9A-A86A-4C528E6CC7C2.jpeg

4ECEE28A-C067-401D-8600-520D2DDECFAF.jpeg

3) Smaller fence area. Receives sunlight 90-95% of the day. Our neighbor has jasmine vines so we’ve thought about some more vines and flowers here.
F4E203FD-E2A3-4ABE-81DD-123171021630.jpeg

6E3834F1-497F-45AB-B306-2AD24ADC6E15.jpeg

We are located in Southern California. Thank you all ahead of time for any advice!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you get your soil tested you can find which is the best plants to grow. If you have an acidic soil you can plant, RHODODENDRONS and AZALEAS flowering shrubs . If you have alkaline soil you would need a different type plants. Get a soil test from the local University Soil lab. All the areas you have to plant, I would go ahead and add compost and and start building the soil up for long term growing. Now is a good time for you to amend the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently suggested an idea to someone else wanting to plant for privacy. So looking at area two, how about pleached trees? They would also give you the space to plant underneath. Web link below.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

First post here and have loved goOmg through others projects And assistance that has been given!

We recently moved and our backyard was destroyed so we removed everything and added in some turf for our son to have some room to play. We have some planters now that are bare (with the exception of two vines my wife wanted) and would love some help/advice on what you think would go well/look good!

There’s 3 different areas that I’ll show.
1) Area with bender board near the turf we would like to do vines, shrubs and flowers. It receives direct sun for about 7-10 hours a day (far side less sun and near side more sun...that’s where the hour range comes from)
View attachment 65482

View attachment 65483

2) Enclosed planter area we would like to have some trees or bushes that provide some privacy since this is where the other homes are really able to see in. It receives sun for 90-95% of the day. We had a friend suggest Privets for that location. We would like it to look nice, trimmed and not disheveled but still have that privacy factor. We are even open to alternating trees and plants.
View attachment 65485
View attachment 65484
View attachment 65486

3) Smaller fence area. Receives sunlight 90-95% of the day. Our neighbor has jasmine vines so we’ve thought about some more vines and flowers here.
View attachment 65487
View attachment 65488

We are located in Southern California. Thank you all ahead of time for any advice!!

Area 1) Maybe a row of some Italian Cypress ("Cupressus Sempervirens")? Columnar form preferred.

Area 2) It sounds like you want something that is fast growing here? I would suggest a hedge of Murray Cypress, but they might get too big for a small space like that. The columnar forms of Italian Cypress might also be suitable there.

Area 3) Maybe some Cycads or Loulu Palm?

Loulu Palm (aka "Pritchardia Kaalae")

loulu-560x373.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pritchardia_kaalae

Microcycas Calocoma - Common Name: Cuban Cycad?

Microcycas_calocoma01.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcycas

Lebombo Cycad (aka "Encephalartos Lebomboensis")

This one (pictured below) is a personal favorite of mine

Encephalartos_lebomboensis01.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encephalartos_lebomboensis

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/foliage/cycads/growing-cycad-plants.htm

Note: Do not use Palm Acid as fertilizer for Cycads.

http://cycadjungle.mysite.com/cycadjungle/Fertilizer for sale.html

https://www.junglemusic.net/cycads.htm

The last three choices are all endangered species and could use all the help that they can get. I'm not even sure how widely cultivated the Microcycas is.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you can consider making the path of a tree, they will fit you best. They will make a shadow and will be comfortable for your family to stay there longer. I think some fruit trees is the best option but not sure about your soil quality, you need to care about it. Water better and add some compost to it.

Ask a Question