Planting ideas for garden UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’ve recently done all the hard landscaping and now looking for some inspiration and guidance on planting. Below is the layout, generally the white areas are paved, blue is the area’s we have for planting.

80-E76187-E831-48-AB-B5-CC-E43-D2-F5-AC5-C8.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
When it comes to picking plants that look good and grow well together my advice is to visit RHS/ National trust gardens. People are employed full time and a lot of effort goes in to making the gardens look good. Usually there is information and names by each display so just note down what you think looks good and plan it for your garden.
Make notes of what is perennial or annual depending on how much work you want to put in to maintaining your borders.
Good luck and post some pictures of what you go with!
AYG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, will hopefully get to visit one or two this weekend (if they’re open). Between the shed and gazebo we we’re thinking something like three Italian cypress trees as a focal point, but I really don’t want them going over say 7ft and wasn’t sure to what degree you can manage them to keep the thin shape and maintain the height, then maybe a sort of Mediterranean theme with the rest of the boarders.

The area on the left has a well established passion flower on a trellis along the fence, looks great when in flower and has produced fruit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shouldn't be a problem. My advice - buy a smaller tree and cut it back in the spring. If the tree is too large you may damage it cutting down to the size you want. Make sure that your soil is well drained to avoid root rot.

Ask a Question