Need a tree pruner recommendation

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

Did anyone have a recommendation on a tree pruner. It’s mainly for small trees like Japanese maples and a crape myrtle .

I have new to gardening and have been using my Ikebana scissors and a pair of hedge shears to prune the plants and edge of my lawn... the last time I trim the crape myrtle I was on a 3 step ladder so am looking for a good tool without breaking the bank. I will be diligent to keep up at least once a year for the trees so not expecting to cut a chunky piece (and I can borrow my in-laws chainsaw if I have to... just I don’t know how to operate it yet...)

Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
This topic comes up now and again.

I prune six inches or more all the way round off this every year. The canopy top is level with the eaves of our house.

P1030964.JPG

I've one of these, I can reach the top without steps or a ladder as it is telescopic. They aren't cheap arpound £100 in the UK. But safe.

(stock photo)

index.jpg

For thicker branches I have a Fiskars pruner, that you pull on a cord to work the jaws. But I've attached a longer pole to it and a longer piece of cord.

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Sean.

I am still trying to learn the terms. I am reading online and there are two types of pruners like anvil (dead branch) and bypass (living branch). Does it mean I have to get two long tree pruners or just one?

I was looking at the Fiskars and the price ranges from like 30 USD to like 90 USD, and difference seems to be the height if can reach and the thickness of the branch it can cut? Generally how thick it will need to handle for an annual pruner?

Lastly is there something I should looks for? I noticed there are different types of strings closing, and some says chain blah blah blah (at this point completely confused). Is there something more preferable from a longevity standpoint.

thank you

This topic comes up now and again.

I prune six inches or more all the way round off this every year. The canopy top is level with the eaves of our house.

View attachment 77826

I've one of these, I can reach the top without steps or a ladder as it is telescopic. They aren't cheap arpound £100 in the UK. But safe.

(stock photo)

View attachment 77827

For thicker branches I have a Fiskars pruner, that you pull on a cord to work the jaws. But I've attached a longer pole to it and a longer piece of cord.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I prefer my Barnel for the maple in our garden as you hold it with one hand and close the handle to cut with the other. The jaws grip the branch you've cut and you can put it in a nearby bin. No need to pick stuff up off the ground. But it will only cut branches as thin as your finger. For anything else I use the Fiskars. Different lengths have the same jaws, obviously the longer, the more expensive. Mine's only about six feet, but i fixed some pipe over the end of the handle and lengthened the cord so it is now twice as long.

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Sean.

I will look into Barnel, Corona, and Fiskars then. Trying to get one that works all of them so I can limit the number of tools in the garage. As a newbie I think I have already have more tools than I thought I would need already: dusting broom to remove cut grass, large plastic collecting bin that is useful (as compared to the useless m one that can attach to lawn mower), manual grass mower (probably best investment so far), hori small digging shovel (heard good things about it it), root slayer larger digging shovel, Fiskars hedge shears which double as lawn edger (my husband hates that thing and claim it’s not sharp), large and small leaf rake from yard butler, lawn aerator from yard butler, two gardening hose wheel cart and hose set with 3 gardening sprayer, two set of ladders ... that stuff plus all the pesticides / fertilizers took like 1/3 of the garage room...

hoping this is the last tool...(at least that’s what I am convincing my husband who wants nothing to do with “my yard”)...

I prefer my Barnel for the maple in our garden as you hold it with one hand and close the handle to cut with the other. The jaws grip the branch you've cut and you can put it in a nearby bin. No need to pick stuff up off the ground. But it will only cut branches as thin as your finger. For anything else I use the Fiskars. Different lengths have the same jaws, obviously the longer, the more expensive. Mine's only about six feet, but i fixed some pipe over the end of the handle and lengthened the cord so it is now twice as long.

Ask a Question