need advice, trees growing sour produce

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I have a fig tree, a pomegranate tree and a tangerine tree in my yard. The fig tree grows sweet figs, but the other two grow sour products. Is there anything I can do to make the other two trees produce sweeter results? Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello I have a fig tree, a pomegranate tree and a tangerine tree in my yard. The fig tree grows sweet figs, but the other two grow sour products. Is there anything I can do to make the other two trees produce sweeter results? Thanks in advance
All pomegranates are sour, from somewhat to really sour. It depends on the variety and how ripe it is. On the tangerine it may be growing from the root stock and if so nothing can be done. The longer citrus stays on the tree the sweeter it gets so you may be picking it too soon. And some varieties are sweeter than others but there is nothing you can do to make a particular variety sweeter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Chuck thank you for the reply. This is very helpful. My parents have a pomegranate tree that produces very sweet pomegranates, so I was just under the impression this was the case for all. As far as the tangerine, I am picking them as late as possible. sometimes to the point where they are just about to drop from the tree. I tried them 3 years in a row and they always come out very sour. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Chuck thank you for the reply. This is very helpful. My parents have a pomegranate tree that produces very sweet pomegranates, so I was just under the impression this was the case for all. As far as the tangerine, I am picking them as late as possible. sometimes to the point where they are just about to drop from the tree. I tried them 3 years in a row and they always come out very sour. Thanks again!
If this be the case then your tangerine tree is growing on the root stock and the actual grafted tree died at least 3 years ago

Ask a Question