Minerals around the sides of planter

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
How would I avoid the mineral deposits around the sides of the pot when I water my plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How would I avoid the mineral deposits around the sides of the pot when I water my plants?
If the mineral buildup is a white color it is probably calcium. Vinegar dissolves calcium. Add a little to your water or use spray bottle with diluted vinegar and spray it on the offending minerals

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I don't understand why there is mineral deposits by the side of the pot. Are you using dirty water for irrigating the plants? Aside from compost, we fertilize our plants with water used to wash meat and fish coming from the market. Sometimes there are sediments that are visible in the pot when the water dries up. Often, there are fish scales or bits of bone that we had to clean up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck, I thought the build up was from salt in the water.
I am sure you have heard the term "hard water". Hard water is water with a lot of minerals in it. It can be iron or calcium or any number of other minerals but salt is rare. Calcium is the most common

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have very hard water too. Vinegar really is the simplest way to remove stains. I also have to flush my coffee pot regularly with vinegar or it gets clogged up. Another sign of hard water is your soap won't lather up as much.

Ask a Question