Marijuana.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/medical-marijuana-fundamentals-durham-college-1.4419957 Durham College offers class on cannabis business as legalization looms

'It's a new frontier. The rush is happening whether we like it or not,' says instructor
CBC News Posted: Nov 25, 2017 6:28 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 25, 2017 9:10 PM ET

An Ontario college is offering a new class in response to the growing demand for skilled professionals to support Canada's expanding medical marijuana industry as legalization looms.

And it's not exactly reading, writing and arithmetic.

The two-day class, offered this weekend by Durham College in Oshawa, Ont., is said to be the first-of-its kind offered by an Ontario college. And it's designed specifically for those with a business background interested in pursuing a career in the medical cannabis field.

Julian Fantino, who once compared weed to murder, defends opening medical marijuana business

This gentlemen was Toronto Chief of Police.
A report published by consultancy firm Deloitte in October estimates that legalizing recreational use of the drug could ignite a $22.6 billion industry in Canada. That figure includes sales of marijuana products as well as ancillaries such as security, transportation and testing labs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Wow, so excellent to assure there is education available(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) go team Canada!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
5 April 2017 LED light (Plant Growing)
Posted on April 5, 2017 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2017/April%202017/5%20April%202017%20LED%20light/HTML/ 5 April 2017 LED light
Four growing containers were made to facilitate small plant growth. There is room for six pots in each bucket for a total of 24 which is a reasonable amount for a home grower. Various seeds are started and grown to a reasonable size prior to placing in outdoor garden about May 25. Experimentation indicates the light is adequate for the purpose indicated, precluding much more expensive lights. Main advantage being very little heat is produced by LED lights.

Details of construction. The parts used were obtained locally 22 liter bucket beverage trade, 110 volt fan ordered off the internet, LED lamp from the local hardware store. lamp fitting a trouble lamp cord and socket. Vent holes and fan hole were made using a soldering iron and melting the plastic as required. Approximate cost: bucket $3.00, fan $25.00,LED Lamp $40.00,lamp electrical fitting $12.00. Total cost ~$80.00.They should last several years. Power consumption LED and fan is about 35 watts.

dsc_6027_std.jpg

http://durgan.org/2017/April 2017/5 April 2017 LED light/HTML/
A set up like this one is usually considered for stealth/illegal growing. And you wouldn't achieve too great a crop in there.

So much better to get proper licencing. Just MHO. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
That setup is for starting seeds. When the seedlings are large enough they are moved. There is almost a 7 billion illegal industry in marijuana. The government has to simplify the licensing procedure or they will get bypassed IMO.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Aha @Durgan I actually just germinate seeds in paper towel like most do here and then grow my seedlings as I would any other plant. Maybe because I grow hot peppers, I have been trained to be attentive :)

Next summer you'll be able to legally grow 4 plants anyway and most people would get enough crop from 4 to last a good long while. No matter which way you consume it.

BTW - Cannabutter is disgusting - from personal experience I found it smells horrible and to me is a waste of time and money because it would ruin anything you put it in. I tossed mine in the green bin immediately on discovering this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Durgan i wonder if you would be comfortable to share the variety of cannabis that you have? Is it a hybrid or some kind of natural or manufactured variety? or to put it another way the "species"
@CanadianLori same question.

I am thinking about ordering seeds for planting and wondering which one to grow. I don't need it medicinally (or recreationally), but it would nice to have available for other family or friends who might be in need.

@Rajesh Sethi I see that Cannabis is native to Central and South Asia. I read that it is used with caution in Ayurvedic medicine and its properties were described thousands of years ago by Ayurvedic doctors. Do you know if it is in current use as an Ayurvedic medicine?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
https://www.cropkingseeds.com/products-page/strains/afghani/ High Yield and THC
This was chosen at random and is a good producer. Ten seeds came through the mail with no issues, ordered off the internet. One plant produced about 1000 seeds and were tested for viability and all germinated. I can mail seeds if you think they will get through. I think the company is in Vancouver.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you @Durgan i believe i can get seeds locally but i appreciate the offer:). Right now i am deciding what species would suit me best and what species are available. Not sure i would like the high THC. Perhaps i should be looking for "strains" rather than species. I'll take a look at your link.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Yes, @Durgan is correct. Most shops and a lot of online stores sell the crop king brand. I don't really have any preference. If you read the descriptions, just as you would when buying any other seeds, you will be able to figure out what is best suited for your needs. Obviously since this isn't for yourself, you might want a hybrid that has both sativa and indica qualites.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Here its both legal as well as illegal. One can find it easily if needed, in some occasion, might find it available openly everywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you Lori, i will research the cropking website for further information. I do not have in mind to treat other people, but only to make it available to someone who might need or want it. And of course, just because i am pain free today doesn't mean i'll be pain free tomorrow. In addition, i like having medicinal plants in the garden. If i had enough space i would have a separate medicinal plant area. I do have to take a look at the laws here which will be a task because no one probably knows what the laws are but the stakes are high because if i am caught violating them i could be deported back to the US and i would not be happy about that:eek:.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
There is no supplier of a system on the internet for growing say four marijuana plants. I am contemplating a simple small kit available to all at a reasonable price, that will accommodate about four plants to about one foot height ready for outdoor planting, You have probably heard about "a chicken in every pot" . Imagine four marijuana plants in every house or yard.

From my limited exposure it need not be intrusive or disruptive, similar to growing four garden tomato plants. It is just a thought at the moment. I wonder about some collaboration, like a joint idea effort. Ideas at the moment.

For consumption, tinctures could be propagated. Basically pollution free and no obnoxious odors. Both for recreation and so called medical uses.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Durgan are you thinking of selling on the internet? at your own site or via ebay/amazon? Or marketing them locally? You have to figure out how to get them to customers. Even here in Mexico the postal service will not allow marijuana, and the commercial carriers will not even ship seeds. In addition a growing plant a foot tall would be extremely difficult to ship successfully so i don't know how you would get them out of Canada. The only way i can think to get them to the public in Canada is to offer them to local garden centers to sell. Of course, i am not particularly experienced with getting products to consumers and there may be many other ways that i am not thinking about. Also, i'm not sure there would be so much demand. With marijuana becoming legalized even now people who want to can grow their own and there are many gardeners who would not like to grow marijuana in their gardens. So, these are my thoughts at the moment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I am thinking only about the hardware. In other words a small practical greenhouse. Similar to the five gallon pail in the previous posting.

Seeds are shipped in innocuous packages through the mail now with no difficulty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Seeds are shipped in innocuous packages through the mail now with no difficulty
Oh yes, the seeds have been shipped discretely for years, which means that most people who want the plants already have them. Shipping already grown live plants is a very different story. Because they may make it to their destination if you ship within Canada, but live plants that are not bare root & with a certification are not going to pass through the customs of other countries. It is not only the plant they will refuse, but any kind of soil. This goes for ALL plants, roses, daffodils, and marijuana. Many things arriving in envelopes will pass through customs, but the larger boxed items will be inspected. If you envision a way to get around this that's great, but i don't have any ideas.

Ask a Question