Marijuana.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
@Durgan I have approval from Health Canada to grow medicinal marihuana for my own use. It is a tough process to go through however even when it is legal to grow plants for recreational purposes, I will continue with getting certification.

There are many restrictions such as not being next to a park or school (makes sense) and the number of plants indoors and out that you are allowed. If a person is renting their residence, they must have the landlord's permission, in writing. An original doctor's certificate is necessary. It must be renewed each year and all of the documents must be resubmitted, new doc cert, new app etc. It is not rubber stamped because the form contents are same old same old.

It is specified as to how much you can store and how much you can carry on your person. In other words, they seem to have all the bases covered.

You cannot produce noxious or irritating fumes. A personal growing limit also assures that your neighbour will not have a field of the stuff. And you cannot pull up stakes and expect to take your certification along. You must reapply because the permission is attached to a specific location.

It is a hassle to ensure that all of the legal permissions are in place but the upside is that because you grow your own, you can do it organically and there is no danger of harmful chemicals or additives such as are regularly found in "street" products.

The certificate is issued for a one year period and it takes 4 months for them to issue your certificate which they BACKDATE to the original submission date. Same thing happened with the renewals. So you receive a document that is 4 months used up and therefore will run out in 8 months... yes, usual government fubar.

@alp I am quite shocked that your government would allow this type of pollution and perhaps there is some legal recourse you can take. It is worth pursuing if your enjoyment of your home has been compromised. If the fumes are from their smoking the stuff, they are stupid people. There is not excuse to expose others to the smoke. I don't like to toke and instead incorporate it into fudge and jellies, and christmas cake .... hmmm, better get a bigger pair of pants.

I also do NOT eat it and drive. I don't believe I've ever gotten incapacitated because the kind I consume is not for a high, but for pain relief. But I still would not eat and drive.

That said, I have enjoyed growing the stuff along with the rest of my flowers and vegetables. There are lots of different challenges in this type of growing but who doesn't like a challenge! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you so much for the informative post @CanadianLori . I hope we haven't lost @Durgan due to the unnecessary broohaha over his thread and that he is able to read your post. There appears to be so much ignorance about the subject. You would think he was asking for opioides or something. We have had threads on the subject of Marijuana in the past that have been very successful and no one seemed to have a problem with it. So i don't know what is going on with this lot.

@Durgan has been a forum member since 2014, and nothing "happened" to him @Rajesh Sethi and others. His thread is perfectly acceptable and appropriate for intelligent discussion. For the people who don't understand this, i would appreciate you not trash his thread. I don't think he has trashed any of your threads. If you don't like his topic no one is forcing you to read it and i am angry to see so much rudeness and disrespect to an OP happening on this site.

@DirtMechanic it would have been better if you had simply supplied a couple of links instead of assuming that everyone knows r/tree is a website.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
@Beverly there are a lot of people who don't understand anything about marihuana. They probably just remember behaviour portrayed in the old stoner movie with Cheech and Chong (talking fish...really?!) and yes, there are people who do imbibe too much of the high THC and act like idiots. But then again, some people who drink to much alcohol take their clothes off and wear lampshades :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@CanadianLori you provided me with a sign of intelligent life and it is no great surprise it had to come from Canada:rolleyes:. Still, ignorance does not forgive rudeness and disrespect which are (or at least have been) such rare occurrences on this particular website and i feel downhearted about that. I hope it is not trending.:( I wonder if you have ever tried a tea? I always thought that would be how i would take it if/when needed. Fortunately, as i age, i find myself pain free (so far) and attribute that to a long time practice of daily yoga. Still, i know there are people exposed to much pain who are greatly helped by the weed and am happy to know that it is becoming more available. Congratulations to you on your project and managing all the regulations required. If you try the tea or have tried the tea let me know how you find it.(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
In September, looking for elderberry bushes, in a seldom visited area I stumbled onto 5, five gallon pails each harboring a single marijuana plant about the same size as the pail and perfectly proportioned. The grower sure knew their stuff. I inspected and passed on. Never returned, but mentally wished them the best.

My interest in the plant is making tincture for alleviating some of aging miseries, not that I have any yet. I have never partaken of it in the past, so had to learn from the Internet. I am far from an expert, but have mastered some of the intricacies. It is/was a lot more complicated than I imagined.

The government is making access so complicated that they will be left out of the user loop due to bureaucracy and over pricing. Much like they are now.

I am much interested in other peoples first hand experiences. Hence my post.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
It does work for those aches and pains that come with advancing years. I haven't taken an ibuprofen in years and I'm betting my organs are happy about that. A tincture is a good idea and would make sense for anyone like myself who doesn't smoke.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)Good to hear from you @Durgan. I agree that it is a good idea to prepare for some possible eventualities. Living in Mexico i will not have a problem with access, but still i would like to grow my own to assure the product will be organic and appropriate to whatever need, as @CanadianLori does although without so much attention to govt regulations. It is not difficult to find here. Actually, i was in my car the other day stopped at a red light when i was approached by a young man who was selling Marijuana in salve form very nicely packaged. It made me smile, but i did not purchase because i don't have aches or pains to try it on. Nice to know it is around though. In the future, if the need presents itself i will use it in the form of tea which is somewhat similar to tincture i think, except a tincture has an additional ingredient (?) which is why i would simply make tea, I have had experience with marijuana in my younger years but do not like to inhale hot smoke into my lungs. Although today there are several varieties and some are quite strong so i would have to do some research regarding what varieties i would want to grow.

Did you find your elderberry bushes? Each year my husband and i and an other couple went to the Cascade foothills to harvest the wild elderberries. Such a treat, i love them. We would talk about making wine every year but we never did because the berries made such wonderful juice.

So you have @CanadianLori who is most knowledgeable and hopefully this thread will attract more people to share their experiences. They will need to dig through a lot of misc posts & uproar & indignation to get to the heart of the matter.:eek:

I never take aspirin, much less other pharmaceuticals on the market and if pain comes my way i would certainly chose Marijuana as the more healthy choice of pain relief and also nausea. I hope the guy with the salve sticks around. I expect that such products will be in the natural foods markets here before long. Mexicans also prefer natural health solutions when ever possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
For anyone who may not already know this. Marijuana can be prescribed by a doctor here and there are many government approved growers who fill the prescriptions.

Marijuana can be grown for own use, with a prescription and government approval.

Next summer.... it will be federally legal to buy recreational marijuana from a provincially run store. And it will be legal for an indidual to grow 4 plants at a time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
from a point of curiosity of course. It is illegal to use or grow it here.
Marijuana has been legal in some US states for a few years for health purposes, popular for closed angle glaucoma, nausea as a result of Chemotherapy, and various pain issues. Even before it was legal to use for medical purposes, we were able to acquire some from an MD, to ease the nausea my father suffered after Chemo sessions. Recently "Recreational Marijuana" has been legalized in some states starting with Colorado. You just go to the store and chose what mix of marijuana you want and buy it like you would buy coffee. For me, i have no interest in "recreational" because all it does is make me fall asleep. I don't know what the more potent varieties would do, but i have little interest. Medically many people find it significant. It is common to purchase Marijuana seeds online to grow your own. A quick internet search will bring up various sources and some ship world wide.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Less than a year ago, I wouldn't know a marijuana plant if it was tripped over. I would not smoke it or pay big bucks for it. Access for seed is easy. Many sites on the internet. It is only necessary to grow once and let one plant go to seed. One plant produces a zillion viable seeds. LED flood lights are cheap and work well. This eliminates one major obstacle. No heat and a five gallon pail suffices for making seedlings. Almost not intrusive. All needed is an small hidden area for growing out doors. One plant grows like"Jack and the Bean Stalk".

It is estimated to be about a seven BILLION dollar industry. I expect soon there will be offed four plant grow kits for a reasonable cost.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
My interest in only ingesting in some form. One must add a few words, and practice making.
tincture
decarboxyate
canna butter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
5 April 2017 LED light (Plant Growing)
Posted on April 5, 2017 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2017/April%202017/5%20April%202017%20LED%20light/HTML/ 5 April 2017 LED light
Four growing containers were made to facilitate small plant growth. There is room for six pots in each bucket for a total of 24 which is a reasonable amount for a home grower. Various seeds are started and grown to a reasonable size prior to placing in outdoor garden about May 25. Experimentation indicates the light is adequate for the purpose indicated, precluding much more expensive lights. Main advantage being very little heat is produced by LED lights.

Details of construction. The parts used were obtained locally 22 liter bucket beverage trade, 110 volt fan ordered off the internet, LED lamp from the local hardware store. lamp fitting a trouble lamp cord and socket. Vent holes and fan hole were made using a soldering iron and melting the plastic as required. Approximate cost: bucket $3.00, fan $25.00,LED Lamp $40.00,lamp electrical fitting $12.00. Total cost ~$80.00.They should last several years. Power consumption LED and fan is about 35 watts.

dsc_6027_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
9 November 2017 Germination (Method)

http://durgan.org/2017/November 2017/9 November 2017 Germination/HTML/
This is my standard method of germinating seeds. Dampen a paper towel and place the seeds between the folds. These sprouted in three days (depends upon the seeds), in the dark, and temperature ~72F. Immediately after emerging from the soil place in bright light. For the initial growing a LED lamp is used with a five gallon pail. Sunlight is used when available.
marijuana%20seeds%20013_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Ah, are these your first germinations? They look great! I wouldn't need the LED where i live. They will grow year around outside:) don't have seeds through. I also use this method of germination for just about everything except seeds that need to be sown where they will grow.

Ask a Question