Marigolds growing too slow, some dying

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
These plants are from seeds and they are about 70 days old. They get 20-20-20 liquid fertilizer every couple of weeks and water every day.
The thing is I guess they are growing too slowly and leaves on some of them get brownish and curly and the plants die off eventually (picture two)
Any advice or tip is much appreciated.

Several marigolds in pots

Close-up of one Marigold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mine are out in the garden, and I would guess the climate in Iran is a lot more favourable than it is here, is it possible they are just getting too warm in that window? They look big enough to go out.

Reaction score
Country
You may be overwatering them. I suggest you water more thoroughly and less often.
Tried that already but they were no different.
Mine are out in the garden, and I would guess the climate in Iran is a lot more favourable than it is here, is it possible they are just getting too warm in that window? They look big enough to go out.
The weather here is arid from now on, but the window is always open and they are not getting too warm.

The bigger ones are going to go out this weekend. I think the smaller ones still need more care. I'm beginning to think they are victims to a fungal or bacterial diseases, seeing lots of flying insects and some ants around them makes me wonder if marigolds are actually repellents. Some has white spot on their leaves too which does not go away by touching the leaves.

Could it be low quality seeds or seed starting mix? I'm at a loss.

New picture, some died already

Attachments

• 20220601_063254.jpg
    20220601_063254.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Country
The first year I grew them, I got much better results. Although they were different varieties ( those two taller ones in the back of the pictures), they were much more healthy and had lots of big flowers. I have no success with these short varieties.

Last year's pics.

Attachments

• 20210627_190925.jpg
    20210627_190925.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210627_190937.jpg
    20210627_190937.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 14
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine are dying too, over the past month. They were doing very well, green with buds and flowers. With the hot weather in the Triad area of North Carolina, I made sure to keep them watered and I don't think I overwatered. But, they started slowly dying and I have no idea why. Today I cut them back as a last resort to see if they can come back. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Cutback Marigolds.jpg
    Cutback Marigolds.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Dead Marigolds.jpg
    Dead Marigolds.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Country
Mine are dying too, over the past month. They were doing very well, green with buds and flowers. With the hot weather in the Triad area of North Carolina, I made sure to keep them watered and I don't think I overwatered. But, they started slowly dying and I have no idea why. Today I cut them back as a last resort to see if they can come back. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Well they look like Dahlias to me not marigolds aka. Tagetes.

UPDATE
I managed to revive them by feeding them manure, quality vermicompost and compost.
The most important tip someone gave me is that transplanting them close to each other. This has had wonderful effect on their health. I'm guessing it's because this cools their roots by blocking direct sunlight to their soil.

Attachments

• 20220725_062310.jpg
    20220725_062310.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"The most important tip someone gave me is that transplanting them close to each other."

That was my experience, I bought two little pots of young plants, one calendula one tagetes that had been allowed to dry out and were very cheap as they looked half dead (That's me, cheapskate. The missus said I had wasted my money, they looked so bad). I had a little trough about 18" long and I made up some really nice mix for them , then jammed them all in about an inch to an inch and a half apart, now they are amazing, a dome of colour, well worth the fifty pence I think I gave for them..

Reaction score
Country
United States
In 2 weeks, both plants have come back! Yay!! Hopefully they'll save alive the rest of the summer.
1659204619808.jpeg

1659204653266.jpeg

Ask a Question