Really tall Marigolds???

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all. I planted some African marigold (crackerjack) seeds back in august to help with pest control around my garden. I planted them around my tomatoesand broccoli, before I realised they weren’t being terribly effective.
But something really weird has happened. The marigolds I grew from seed have grown to be anywhere from 2x to 6x the size of regular store-bought marigolds, (I have one specimen that is 1 meter (3 feet) tall!).
Does anyone know what has happened and what I should do with them? Should I collect the seeds and see if I can replicate these monster marigolds? The seeds I used were from Mr. Fothergills, and I haven’t tested the soil I’ve been using but I think it’s fairly basic. I’ve attached some photos of them, plus a picture of some store-bought marigolds I got as comparison. Thank you all!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 88
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome ByrdieRose. :) I don't think they are African Marigolds but possibly Tagetes that are native to America. Depending on the variety they can grow very tall.

I noticed that your plants seem to be in shade, this would also help them grow taller as they are reaching for light.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I have seen a very tall bright orange marigold growing in front of the porch of a house.

Ask a Question