Not sure what this tree is, or how to tame it. It really has to be trimmed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I have a tree I need to trim, and I have no idea what it is. It produces large purple flowers in spring, then that's it for the year.

The trunk splits off into four parts, heading sharply away from each other, and that's the problem. I fear that I'll need to cut it all the way back to the wood to make things work. You can see that one of the limbs almost touched the left stone pier in the first image. The second image is from around the corner.

Right now, it's almost touching the ground.

Any advice about how to cut this back would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hugh

IMG_9369.jpg
IMG_9370.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Looks a bit like our Mulberry trees in habit, they grow branches out sideways and often need supporting with old branches or even brick piers in the case of very old ones, hope that helps :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1593984583608.png
Here`s a picture of a Mulberry tree with ''crutches'' to keep it up.

I think that your tree is difficult indeed. There is no main straight trunk to keep whilst cutting the rest ! If it was on my patch I would be tempted to chop it all down and plant a different tree if it worried me that much :unsure:

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's a Syringa (lilac). You mentioned purple flowers Hugh, the leaves and the splaying trunks suggest that to me also. They can be grown as a shrub or tree but I think the trunks are too well developed now to cut them back without killing or damaging it. I agree with Tetters it would be better to replace it. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oops, I didn't get notifications there were replies, sorry for my delayed response.

@zigs - thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I'm going to have to perhaps see what I can do to support some of this tree.

@Tetters - wow, that's an unusual situation. Kinda cool though!

@Mrsclem - no yellow, just the purple flowering.

@Sheal - I think you are right. I have recollections of someone saying it was a lilac tree when we bought the house.

@DrCase - I think this will be a starting point today.

Guys, I think I will go out and start trimming, if things go awry I can take bite the bullet and take it down. It is right up against the house, so I worry also about damage the roots might cause.

Thanks, I'll report back!

Hugh

Ask a Question