Something is eating my marigolds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Something has stripped the leaves off a couple of my baby marigolds and the only evidence appears to be a "cocoon" of what looks like foam or spittle. It's also now on the rosemary alongside. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Something has stripped the leaves off a couple of my baby marigolds and the only evidence appears to be a "cocoon" of what looks like foam or spittle. It's also now on the rosemary alongside. Any ideas?
I don't know if you have them in the UK but here in Texas they are a plant sucking pest named spittle bug or frog hopper

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is there a remedy?
Spittlebugs are not what is causing your problem. Spittle bugs are a sucking insect related to aphids and although can cause significant damage rarely do and then only when they are present in large numbers. You stated that something is eating your plants which means it is either a chewing insect or a caterpillar. I don't know if you have products in the UK that are spinosad based but if you do it will kill both chewing insects and caterpillars although Bt, (Bacillus thuringiensis) which I am sure you do have, kills caterpillars better but it has no effect on insects.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, Chuck, for such a thorough reply. I have since looked it up on the Internet and we do indeed have froghopper nymphs in the UK. I think what's eating the plants are slugs so have put down some wool pellets which are environmentally friendly. Thanks again.

Ask a Question