Marigolds benefits??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
These Marigolds I planted from seeds are getting huge!
IMG_2503.JPG
IMG_2504.JPG

But wait! Don't leave yet! I have a question. I read everywhere online that marigolds detract aphids and other pests. Is this true? Do I have to plant it in the same soil for the benefits, or can I keep them nearby like I'm doing right now?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Marigolds are a fabulous non-toxic way to deter all kinds of pests! Geraniums are another great preventative as well. It is best to plant them in the ground as it is the under-workings of the plants that keep those pesky nematodes (microscopic worms) at bay. Be careful not to overwater though because of the risk of Aphid and Mite infestation. If this happens, use a non-toxic soap such as Castille mixed with water and lightly spray.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It's the smell of marigolds that whitefly and aphids don't like, so close-by is good enough.
The flowers are edible, or you could make wine from the petals, a bit like dandelion wine.
I'm afraid that article is wrong.
I recommend the growing of marigolds in the greenhouse to my colleagues at the allotments every year, and every year nearly all, "don't have time".
They struggle with greenhouse whitefly infestation, which we in the UK don't have the legal tools to eradicate, whilst I don't EVER get one, even if I have whitefly-infested brussels sprouts directly outside, like I did last summer.
That, to me, is proof, even if for you it is anecdotal.
Perhaps the smell isn't strong enough outside, but less moving air concentrates the odour.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Sometimes Grandfather planted marigolds so the rabbits did not bother the vegetable garden.

P

Peace perfect peace

Talking about pest etc, (flying ones) Ive a friend in the uk who rings me every now an then and always start his conversation the same way,
He says im just phoning to see if your still alive,
But this morning he gave me a bit of advice ref fly's
He said get a plastic freezer type bag 3/4 fill it with clear cold water and drop 5 or 6 silver coloured coins in it,
Tie the top and hang on the inside of the window,
This keeps the common fly away,

Question !!!!!! Anyone tried this idea ?

Ask a Question