Marigolds for my tomato plants

Reaction score
I have heard that marigolds are excellent for keeping the green horn worm away from the tomato plants (but I was also suggested introducing wasps into my garden too keep them out too - :eek:) I prefer the marigolds as I really do not want an aggressive bee stinging me!

I got 12 marigold plants today from my daughters for Mother's Day. I am planning on planting them tomorrow but do not know if I should expand the garden to plant the flowers in front of the tomato plants (somewhat close to them) or if I can make their own area in the garden in an open spot a few feet from the tomato plants. Should the marigolds be close to the tomatoes or are they valuable just being in the garden? Just want to be sure I plant them in the key location.

Reaction score
My mom has used Marigolds and they have worked. She has raised beds and would always put the Marigolds in with the tomatoes.

Reaction score
I have heard that marigolds are excellent for keeping the green horn worm away from the tomato plants (but I was also suggested introducing wasps into my garden too keep them out too - :eek:) I prefer the marigolds as I really do not want an aggressive bee stinging me!

I got 12 marigold plants today from my daughters for Mother's Day. I am planning on planting them tomorrow but do not know if I should expand the garden to plant the flowers in front of the tomato plants (somewhat close to them) or if I can make their own area in the garden in an open spot a few feet from the tomato plants. Should the marigolds be close to the tomatoes or are they valuable just being in the garden? Just want to be sure I plant them in the key location.

@dconklin - I'm glad for your post because I didn't know about the marigolds helping to combat those ugly green horn worms. What a great post, I just love it when I learn something new, especially when it comes to my tomato plants. I remember one year, I was so busy and this was before it got really hot so I didn't need to water my tomato plants as often, but I checked on them one day and they were good, I then went back about two or three days later and two of those ugly things almost ate ever leaf off the poor tomato plant and of course I was furious. The tomato plant was still sort of small to medium sized so it didn't take the nasty worms long to almost eat the entire plant. Those things blend in so well that I almost didn't see one and then all of a sudden, I saw the second one so I never want to go through that experience again, so I may be on my way to the nursery soon to get me some marigold plants. I haven't had that problem again, but I still wouldn't mind making sure I don't. Thanks for the post!

Reaction score
Yes, I HATE those nasty worms! Even if you have gloves on and you touch one, your stomach feels strangely add:(

Reaction score
@dconklin - I'm glad for your post because I didn't know about the marigolds helping to combat those ugly green horn worms. What a great post, I just love it when I learn something new, especially when it comes to my tomato plants. I remember one year, I was so busy and this was before it got really hot so I didn't need to water my tomato plants as often, but I checked on them one day and they were good, I then went back about two or three days later and two of those ugly things almost ate ever leaf off the poor tomato plant and of course I was furious. The tomato plant was still sort of small to medium sized so it didn't take the nasty worms long to almost eat the entire plant. Those things blend in so well that I almost didn't see one and then all of a sudden, I saw the second one so I never want to go through that experience again, so I may be on my way to the nursery soon to get me some marigold plants. I haven't had that problem again, but I still wouldn't mind making sure I don't. Thanks for the post!
It is amazing how much these things can eat really compared to their size. Last year we didn't really have any but the year before we ended up with a bunch of them. I found them quite by accident and almost put my hand on one. I had no idea what it was as I had only seen one at first. I Googled them and found out that where there is 1 there is usually a lot more. I went through the plants and found a lot!

I also found that a natural organic bug spray worked wonders against them too. After plucking these nasty things off, I sprayed the plants with the organic spray (and continued to spray once a week for a few weeks) and they were gone quick.

It is my understanding that one of the creature's life cycle buries into the soil over the winter so if you had them last year, start thinking of a plan now before they do eat all the plants.

I am hoping the marigolds work here! But one thing is if you see one of these hornworms with white rice looking things on it, leave it alone. It will quickly die and the white rice looking things will turn into their enemy - the wasp which will be a big help to get rid of the buggers!

Edit: I know I said that I won't go out of my way to introduce wasps to my garden do to fear of getting stung, but if they arrive then more power to them and they are welcome to get rid of the hornworms for me :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Some people swear by marigolds and some say they don't help at all. I think it depends on the health and size of the plant. My mom planted tomatoes in large tubs and they quickly shot up and overtook the marigolds. The poor marigolds barely see the sun! The marigold in one container is completely chewed up and my mom has been removing the worms by hand.

Reaction score
Basil is another wonderful plant to plant along with your tomatoes.. they not only help protect your plant against pests but also add flavour to your tomatoes. I have had good success with marigolds. I never plant tomatoes and marigolds in the same container.. I place the containers next to each other.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I never plant tomatoes and marigolds in the same container.. I place the containers next to each other.

I think this is the best approach because then you can move things around as needed. If someone lives in an apartment or doesn't have much yard space, planting companions in a large container might be the best thing for them, but tomatoes need lots of water and I think anything other than basil could suffer in the same container, especially in hot climes.

Ask a Question