Starting marigolds from seed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I saved seeds from some marigold flowers, but have been unsuccessful in getting them to germinate. I had some in the ground years ago that self seeded, but now I am trying to start some to grow in containers. Has anyone ever successfully grown marigolds from seed?

Reaction score
Yes, I started them like all other seeds and they did great. My problem with seed starting is keeping them warm enough, so last time I put my pots in the oven with the light left on. It kept it nice and warm and my seeds sprouted really fast that way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ah, so that's the trick. I'll have to see what I can come up with for creating the right environment. Maybe I can enclose them bell jar style on the window sill? Starting zinnias is so much easier!

Reaction score
Once you plant the seeds cover them with a fine layer of soil. Mist it well and wrap it with a cling wrap or cellophane wrap and leave it in a warm place. The seeds will germinate easily.However, you need to replant them as soon as they are big enough so the pants have support, and do not get crowded. Planting them in two inch deep holes will help, keep adding soil as they grow or the roots will show up and the plants could fall off if there is a heavy wind or with the weight of the flowers itself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks Maddie! I will definitely do all of that as soon as I have some extra time. I'll have to figure out a warm spot to do it in; maybe just having them covered while germinating on the windowsill will do it.

Reaction score
I planted marigolds from a seed packet this past Spring. They were planted very early, before April 15th in the Northeast. I did little but water them, and they sprouted in large numbers. They were, without question, the biggest, tallest, most healthy marigolds I have ever had in my garden. I did feed them after they were well established. I was surprised the seeds survived and sprouted so well when it was still cold out, but they did.....I guess maintaining constant moisture was they key.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks, Ceecee! I guess the trick is giving them the right environment. Were your seeds in a really sunny spot? I plan to try again and start some indoors soon. I have some other baby plants that need to be transplanted before I start on anything else.

Reaction score
Yes, I started the seeds in a planter barrel in full afternoon sun. The seeds were given to me and it was just a lark, I didn't realize how hearty they would be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My seeds were saved from marigolds I was growing. I'm not sure how long you can save them and still have them be viable, and I don't really remember when I collected them, but I thought I would give it a shot; nothing ventured...

Reaction score
My seeds were saved from marigolds I was growing. I'm not sure how long you can save them and still have them be viable, and I don't really remember when I collected them, but I thought I would give it a shot; nothing ventured...
Don't worry Channel, those seeds live on and on.. I found a packet of seeds from a plant I grew three years ago in one of my storage boxes and scattered then in a pot hoping that I could have just a single plant and lo and behold there is a pot full of plants which need to be transplanted and thinned out..
These plants thrive under the sun.. and I hope I have the same kind of lowers I had last time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Cool, thanks Maddie! I think I am going to have to find or create a couple cloches for seed starting just to insure there is enough warmth. I have to get more containers to relocate everything that needs to be transplanted and then I can think about sprouting new stuff again.

Reaction score
Good luck to you... I hope you have some marigolds flowering in winter to make you happy. Do you have any other plants that flower in winter? We do not have much of a winter here and I am curious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yes, it's pretty warm here so everything is able to flower periodically. I only have a few flowering plants (non-food/herb, that is) right now, I need to start some zinnias also. I forgot to plant any this year.

Reaction score
Great! I just can not imagine a colorless garden. Sounds so bleak. I love Zinnias the attract a lot of bees and butterflies. I haven't had Zinnias in a long time.. maybe I should get some...Last years I bought some seeds and only a few of them sprouted .. The flowers weren't any good at all. I need to get some good seeds this time.

Ask a Question