Looking for some advice on a struggling kumquat tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there -

My kumquat tree is really struggling this year - the leaves are curled and yellowed, and I noticed while the leaves are more green on the topside, the underside is very pale yellow. Any thoughts on how I could save this one? Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there -

My kumquat tree is really struggling this year - the leaves are curled and yellowed, and I noticed while the leaves are more green on the topside, the underside is very pale yellow. Any thoughts on how I could save this one? Thank you!
Post a photo of the whole tree so I can see what you have. Make sure to get the trunk going into the soil in the photo. .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry for such a late reply!

Unfortunately I only have pictures of the leaves (see attached) and won't be able to get a picture of the trunk right now. But from my own research, and I wonder if the tree is planted too deeply as I noticed I don't see the root flare and perhaps it should be more exposed?

Attachments

• Kumquat 1.jpeg
    Kumquat 1.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Kumquat 2.jpeg
    Kumquat 2.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, the root flair exposed will help a lot and allow the tree to transpire gases from the roots better. I can see the tops of the plants are yellow because the plant has a case of iron chlorosis. When the soil pH rises due to high alkalinity the plant tips will be the first to yellow. The difference between macro and micronutrient deficiencies is the growing shoots are affected first with micronutrients.

Your tap water and soil are alkaline and the tree may be in the wrong spot. Sometimes an acid-loving tree can grow in an alkaline spot for a few years before the alkalinity catches up with the tree. Take a soil sample and send it to a lab before planting any expensive trees outdoors to make sure the plant's pH matches the soil pH.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The tree had an infestation of aphids at some time during the spring; that’s where the curled leaves with yellow undersides come from. Very few locations in California have a pH that citrus can’t tolerate; that’s why it’s such a big ag commodity here. Extra-deep planting may be an issue. Otherwise it looks like it could use a dose of fertilizer.

Ask a Question