Looking for advice in 12b/13a region

Reaction score
Country
Cuba
Hello! I’ve recently transplanted to a tropical island in the Caribbean with food shortages being a common plague. I’m a moderately good gardener back home in Alexandria, VA but am realizing that there’s no Home Depot nearby to bail me out of my mistakes, so this needs to be right the first time. I have good soil, water, seeds, etc, but my concern is the sun. Should I plant vegetables typically grown with Full sun in the shade or just go ahead with full sun? I’m worried that tomatoes and the like will just cook away on the vine. Any constructive advice is welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cuba is only 90 miles from Florida and folks in Florida don't have a problem with too much sun. If you have full sun plants and grow them in the shade it will NOT work. IF, during the growing season you find your tomatoes or peppers or whatever are scalding just cover the fruit with something like a Tee shirt or something. And don't prune anything.

Reaction score
Country
Cuba
There is a vast difference between Jacksonville and Miami. I would attribute my region closer to Puerto Rico than Florida. After being here for over a month, I have yet to see any farms growing vegetables in full sun. They’ve all got some kind of massive opaque tent over their vegetables. The only thing I’ve seen in the sun so far is tobacco. If anyone has experience in a region like this I’d love to hear your thoughts

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Actually, there are numerous choices of veggies you can grow in the Caribe. For varieties, check locally but these will work:

tomatoes...heat resistant varieties aka heatmaster
cucumber variety... suyo long
toad pumpkin...grown successfully in Costa Rica and here in Texas heat
luffa
peppers
sweet corn
okra
eggplant
shallots... tropical variety
sweet potatoes
jicama
beans...pintos should do quite well.

For soil building/regeneration/ nitrogen fixing you can easily grow Sunn Hemp. It is a fantastic, fast growing soil builder. I grow it myself and testify to its incredible soil building properties. It can eliminate the need for synthetic fertilizers...it has for me.

Talk to local successful gardeners and they will almost always share valuable info.

p.s. you might try leaf lettuce in containers and also Malabar spinach. I'd bet you can do both.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I’ve recently transplanted to a tropical island in the Caribbean with food shortages being a common plague. I’m a moderately good gardener back home in Alexandria, VA but am realizing that there’s no Home Depot nearby to bail me out of my mistakes, so this needs to be right the first time. I have good soil, water, seeds, etc, but my concern is the sun. Should I plant vegetables typically grown with Full sun in the shade or just go ahead with full sun? I’m worried that tomatoes and the like will just cook away on the vine. Any constructive advice is welcome!
In a tropical island with high temperatures and intense sunlight, growing vegetables in full sun may be challenging. However, there are some options to consider:

Plant in the morning or evening: Consider planting your vegetables early in the morning or late in the afternoon, when the sun is not as intense. This can help reduce heat stress on the plants.

Provide shade: You can provide shade to your vegetable plants by using shade cloth or planting them under taller plants that provide natural shade. This can help reduce the amount of direct sunlight and heat that the plants receive.

Choose heat-tolerant varieties: Look for vegetable varieties that are specifically bred to tolerate high temperatures and full sun. Examples of heat-tolerant vegetables include okra, eggplant, peppers, and sweet potatoes.

Use mulch: Cover the soil around your plants with a layer of mulch, which can help to retain moisture and keep the soil temperature cooler.

Consider container gardening: If you have limited space or want more control over the amount of sunlight your plants receive, consider growing your vegetables in containers. You can move them around to find the best location for the amount of sunlight they need.

Remember to monitor your plants closely and provide them with adequate water and nutrients, as they may require more frequent watering and feeding in high temperatures. Good luck with your gardening!

For more info check this resource
Facebook Page:
Youtube Channel Link:

Ask a Question