New to gardening, trying to grow my own food. Looking for advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Much like rhe title says, have been blessed with free time and a back yard. Decided to try food gardening, I currently have 1 blue java banana, one Cavendish, 1 guava sapling, 1 passion fruit, 2 everglades tomatoes, along with a mix of lettuce, peppers and broccoli in its own section.

I live close to Jacksonville Florida, and have mainly sandy soil. Runs the gamut of grey and black.

My bananas don't seem to be growing fast and I'm unsure how often to water. Some say once a week. Some say every 2 days. So I feel like my googling skills are failing me. They're all relatively young.

Thank you for your time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum.

I am from the UK, and know nothing about banana growing I am afraid. I have seen them growing here, but we don't really have the climate for it, the only successful ones I have seen are in a huge glass house in Kew gardens. Worth a visit if you are in England, it is a beautiful construction, like a massive, transparent blancmange, and it has some amazing plants inside.

If you click on 'Forums' and scroll down you will find forums on Fruit and on Vegetables, there is also one on Herbs, worth growing, they are expensive and taste so much more fresh, that can be true even of things like potatoes which are staples and cheap as chips.

Good luck with the food growing, and I hope to see you around the forum.

PS Like I say, I am not informed on bananas, but if they are in sandy soil the more frequent watering may be the way to go. Have you amended your soil with any compost or leaf mould that will help it retain water?

Twigs

Nature Hobbyist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone8
Country
United States
Sand is ok...well drained soil. Every 2days is good...this plant (Blue Java) needs a consistent watering schedule/amount, but not standing water. A 10-10-10 fertilizer for the first year 12-15 month, then a 10-10-15 to assist with fruiting by 24 month-ish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

I am from the UK, and know nothing about banana growing I am afraid. I have seen them growing here, but we don't really have the climate for it, the only successful ones I have seen are in a huge glass house in Kew gardens. Worth a visit if you are in England, it is a beautiful construction, like a massive, transparent blancmange, and it has some amazing plants inside.

If you click on 'Forums' and scroll down you will find forums on Fruit and on Vegetables, there is also one on Herbs, worth growing, they are expensive and taste so much more fresh, that can be true even of things like potatoes which are staples and cheap as chips.

Good luck with the food growing, and I hope to see you around the forum.

PS Like I say, I am not informed on bananas, but if they are in sandy soil the more frequent watering may be the way to go. Have you amended your soil with any compost or leaf mould that will help it retain water?
I have not. I plan to get mulch and composting started saturday

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sand is ok...well drained soil. Every 2days is good...this plant (Blue Java) needs a consistent watering schedule/amount, but not standing water. A 10-10-10 fertilizer for the first year 12-15 month, then a 10-10-15 to assist with fruiting by 24 month-ish.
Thank you. I'll look into a good fertilizer

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I grow my own fruit and vegetables and have for decades...well over 90% of what we consume is grown in my gardens organically.

You have a good starter selection...maybe need to add some citrus if you like to eat it.

A lot depends on your soil...and what its composition is in terms of nutrients, macro and micro. Without a good soil test, you are simply guessing. Certainly, educated guesses can be made based on results.... but a real soil test is the only way to know what you have for certain.

Regarding the blue java, it is a tropical plant and hence needs regular, frequent watering usually about once a day. Make sure the root systems stay wet by giving it a deep watering every time you water ...but not in standing water which will kill the plant by rotting the rhizome.

Ask a Question