Gardening Novice in need of some gardening tips/advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening All,

I have been doing a lot of work on my front garden since moving last year. I've noticed that all the flowers on the plants I've planted (Armeria and Dianthus) have turned brown shortly after planting. I have planted Euonymus Harlequin in the same area and they have flourished. I planted a Hebe Plant (Addenda) approximately 2 weeks ago and the flowers have also started to brown. I suspect there may be an issue with the soil but wanted to seek some advice before taking any action. Any thoughts on what the issue might be and suggestions on how to resolve would be much appreciated! If anyone can advise on how to attach photos, that would be much appreciated! Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is a photo of the most recent Addenda Hebe Plant, planted 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG20220913174625.jpg
    IMG20220913174625.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
One thing that the three failed plants have in common is a need for good drainage (according to Google). Is your soil getting a little waterlogged?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A photo of the Dianthus plant which was planted and removed due to flowers turning brown / not flowering.

Attachments

• IMG-20220621-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20220621-WA0002.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The only thing I see are perfectly healthy plants with flowers going to seed. And possibly a little transplant shock which will cure itself in time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One thing that the three failed plants have in common is a need for good drainage (according to Google). Is your soil getting a little waterlogged?
Hi Susan, I hadn't considered this so thank you for sharing this suggestion. Do you know if there's any way I could check to confirm whether this might be the issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The only thing I see are perfectly healthy plants with flowers going to seed. And possibly a little transplant shock which will cure itself in time.
Thank you for this. I must say that I have been quite hasty and have replaced plants after a few weeks as they were not flowering. I'll leave these ones for a few weeks and see how they get on. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for this. I must say that I have been quite hasty and have replaced plants after a few weeks as they were not flowering. I'll leave these ones for a few weeks and see how they get on. Thanks again!
I am a vegetable guy, not a flower guy, but plants do not flower all the time. It takes a certain maturity and the correct weather for production in any plant. And some plants must have a period of time between flowering and some only flower once or twice per year. I don't know the characteristics of your plants but one thing about gardening that you must know is to be patient. Your plants in the pictures look great, no browning leaf tips or leaf margins, no drooping or curling which are signs of too much watering.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
We have a saying in Texas...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. From your pictures nothing looks broke to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Susan, I hadn't considered this so thank you for sharing this suggestion. Do you know if there's any way I could check to confirm whether this might be the issue?
I am no expert and have no experience of this. I guessed maybe it was soil acidity and when googling that I spotted that all three plants need very well draining soil. Dianthus and Hebe are both listed as being prone to root rot.

Have a read at this and see if it matches up with your problem:

In my old house we had really bad problems with waterlogging and few plants survived. Raised beds will work and perhaps even digging in compost to improve drainage. But in my (limited) experience, digging compost into clay soil can make the problem worse as the surrounding clay acts like a bowl and even more water sits around the roots. But if this is indeed the problem others will be more knowledgeable than me about how to resolve it.

If you're not set on dianthus and hebe you could just choose plants that are more tolerant of poorly drained soil.

Google for 'Hebe Root Rot' and 'Dianthus Root Rot' and you'll probably find some pictures to compare with your plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum. :)

All of the plants you have mentioned are spring or summer flowering. We're now halfway through September and into autumn so it's natural for the flowers to die off and go to seed. Planting them out now would have furthered that process as the plants have shut down until their roots are established. It would be an idea to remove the dead flower heads to help that process.

Don't be in a hurry to discard plants that aren't performing fast enough for you as they can take weeks or months to establish. Trees and shrubs will take years.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Love and plants, the two things you can't hurry :)

I have clay soil, whenever I have a fire in my incinerator I chuck in all the lumps of clay i have raked up and collected in flowerpots. It sinters and makes a sort of rough terracotta, just the job for improving drainage. It doesn't work instantly with the first few pots of course, but little by little things are getting better and better, and unlike compost it won't rot down and disappear.

Ask a Question