New to gardening, growing peppers

Reaction score
Country
United States
I started germinating pepper seeds and they have started growing. I feed them with a miracle grow fertilizer that had lots of nitrogen. I also read that when the plant starts to flower, I should be feeding it with more phosphate and potassium. So I found two that I am interested in. A miracle grow instant feed bloom booster and a vigoro slow release bold blooms. They are both 15-30-15. I am leaning towards the vigoro because of it's slow release design. But is there a preference?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Phosphorus is what buds/blooms need to form. You should use it from the date of transplanting, not after buds/blooms have already started to be formed. If you must use a synthetic fertilizer there are many that are much better then MG, in fact just about any of them are.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Phosphorus is what buds/blooms need to form. You should use it from the date of transplanting, not after buds/blooms have already started to be formed. If you must use a synthetic fertilizer there are many that are much better then MG, in fact just about any of them are.

Thank you! So I'll stick with the Vigoro one.

But I just learned that the leaves of the seedlings are not completely gone overnight! What???? I guess the iguanas found the plants and ate the leaves??? Does this mean the seedlings are done? Now they just look like green sticks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you! So I'll stick with the Vigoro one.

But I just learned that the leaves of the seedlings are not completely gone overnight! What???? I guess the iguanas found the plants and ate the leaves??? Does this mean the seedlings are done? Now they just look like green sticks!
Yes, the Vigoro Tomato and Vegetable fertilizer (12-10-5) is light years better than any MG product. If the leaves of the seedlings are gone start over and leave the lizard outside or in a cage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, the Vigoro Tomato and Vegetable fertilizer (12-10-5) is light years better than any MG product. If the leaves of the seedlings are gone start over and leave the lizard outside or in a cage.

The lizard isn't a pet. There are iguanas roaming around outside. Should I grow them in the seedling pots indoors by the window? I didn't try this was going to be an issue. Maybe this is going to be a pain to deal with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The lizard isn't a pet. There are iguanas roaming around outside. Should I grow them in the seedling pots indoors by the window? I didn't try this was going to be an issue. Maybe this is going to be a pain to deal with.
If they will eat the seedlings they will probably eat grown plants too. You can start seedlings in a window if there is enough direct sunlight. Or, you can go to option #2 as in the following link.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If they will eat the seedlings they will probably eat grown plants too. You can start seedlings in a window if there is enough direct sunlight. Or, you can go to option #2 as in the following link.

Man, I was so excited about these peppers growing. I even feed the plants, for the first time, with nitrogen leaning fertilizer. Now I have to figure out this iguana issue.

Last edited:

Ask a Question